Roman's POV

I take a seat next to Virgil's bed and gently encase his hand in mine. I glance at the bandages on his wrist and hold back a sob. His skin is cold and pale, his body laying motionless.

"Virgil...why did you do it?" I wipe at the tears forming at the corners of my eyes. "Please Virgil, you can make it through this, you have to make it through this. Please," I drop my head down and struggle to hold back another sob.

I look up and catch a glimpse of something white in the corner of my eye. It's a small note folded up and chained to his necklace. The necklace I gave him.

"Virgil hurry up!" I climb up the ladder on the side of the tree, my hair falling into my face with some leaves from the fall wind. Virgil rushes up behind me, his laughter conflicting with his heavy breathing.

We sit down in the middle of the tree house together. It's our first anniversary together and we planned to exchange gifts here.

"Mine isn't that great," Virgil mumbles. I reach out and ruffle his bangs, laughing when he growls and snarls at me.

"I'm sure it's great, anything from you is always amazing you lovable munchkin."

He hands over a small bag. I open it and pull out a small booklet, barely the size of my fist. I flip through and look at the pictures and writing inside. It's a memory booklet. I look up and smile at the anxious, blushing boy, tears rising in my eyes. I pull him into a hug and hold him tightly so he can't escape (though I'd let him go if he wanted me to).

When we pull away I laugh to myself. "Now I feel like mine won't be anything compared to yours."

"Anything from you is always amazing you lovable munchkin," he mimics.

I laugh and hand the wrapped box to him. He opens the wrapping paper by separating the tape like the adorable nerd he is. He pulls out the box and looks at the necklace inside. It's a silver dog tag with both our names engraved and a small purple gem next to it. Virgil laughs a watery laugh and pulls me in for another hug, quietly laughing through his tears. "You sentimental prick."

Why'd it have to be you?

He never took the necklace off. He wore it everywhere, no matter what. I'd offered to get it cleaned for him but he refused, too scared something might happen to it.

I take the note off the chain, remembering how he chained the booklet to a necklace for me to wear after I asked him. He does it in a strange and intricate way, so that if something were to happen, no one would be able to steal it.

After closing the clasp of the necklace, I unfold the note, wiping desperately at my tears.

Hey, if you're anyone except Roman, get this to him as soon as possible.

I'm sorry. This isn't your fault or anyone else's. It's mine. I wasn't strong enough and never will be if I make it out alive somehow. The stress and anxiety of the world we lived in together kept me from being excited for any of the things you used to ramble on about. I hope you get to go on the adventures you used to talk to me about. I hope you find someone special to go with.

His words start to turn faded and smudged. He was crying when he wrote this. I choke on a sob but continue reading nonetheless.

Don't feel like you need to hold back on anything for me. You'll be amazing no matter what you do in life. Fall in love and have a big family like you've always wanted.

"Virgil..." Tears start clouding my vision when a nurse walks in. I fold the note and put it in my pocket as she checks the monitors surrounding my boyfriend of two years.

"Are you holding up okay?"

I look up and wipe my tears away. "It's just...so unexpected. I-I knew he had mental health issues but-but he never said he was...he was considering this," I sob into my hand at the thought that I could've helped him.

"We can't be certain as of right now, but he was brought here before fatal damage could be done. It will be a struggle to get him through this but there is a chance he'll make it."

"Thank you," I smile through my pain to show I'm genuinely gracious. The nurse walks out, giving me some more time alone with Virgil.

I open the note and pick up where I left off.

I'm sorry for the pain I might be causing you and everyone else through my actions. This will spare you from so much more pain in the future if I didn't do this.

Assuming you got the note off, take the necklace too. I don't want you to loose something like this during the loss of someone else.

I love you Roman.

Underneath that is a note to his parents. I fold the note and look at the chain around Virgil's neck. I won't take it until all hope is lost.

I walk back into the waiting room and give the note to Virgil's mother. She sits down with his father and reads over the note.

Why did it have to be him?