Chapter 1

??? POV

"When can I join you?"

"After you jump off a cliff so that maybe you aren't a demon in the next life!"

I turn around, managing to hide the sobs trying to tear me apart, and walk back into the forest. They don't realize... I'd have already killed myself if it were possible... And I have tried...  multiple times...

Trees leave dappled shadows on the ground as I walk to my favorite part of the forest, a cliff that seems to go on forever, but opens up to a wide expanse of flatlands speckled with trees and divided by rivers.

One such river lies directly below the drop, with dozens of spiked rocks lining the fall and poking up out of the water.

Looking dejectedly at the drop, I let go of myself, escaping reality for a few moments.

If only I could be free, maybe then I could be at peace... Oh, what the hell, why not add another attempt...?

I stepped toward the edge, the wind blowing my hair to the side, partially covering my dead eyes from the blinding midday sun.

Pebbles fall down the face of the cliff as I reach the edge. I let my eyes travel back towards the horizon, and as I close them, I allow myself to fall forward.

~~~~~~~~~~

The wind is whistling in my ears, gravity giving my stomach a strange yet nostalgic feeling.

I love this rush, even if it's only for a few seconds, because it lets me imagine what it could be like if I really did manage to die.

I know it won't happen, I've jumped this cliff many times before and I always - eventually - end up fine.

Lost in my thoughts, I'm surprised when a rope around my waist stops me.

I hang there for a minute, processing that my attempt was stopped.

Eventually, I turn around to face the top of the cliff to see who stopped me.

It's a ninja from the Leaf, a young one about my age from the looks of him. Sunshine blonde hair and blue eyes that appear to be red from crying face my way, his hands holding the other end of the rope.

Our gazes linger a while longer, until I reach into my own pouch, grab a kunai, and sever our connection.

~~~~~~~~~~

When I wake, I'm surprised that I am no longer at the end of the river like I usually am after that fall. I'm also fully healed, which is normal, but I'm laying in the middle of a soft, grassy clearing, back in the forest.

I move my eyes around looking for something, anything.

I sigh and sit up, but I'm promptly kept in place by a pair of strong arms.

Tilting my head backwards, I see the boy from earlier acting as my pillow while he rests against a tree. His stare is intense, making me feel somewhat cornered by him, but his touch... I've been so deprived of a friendly connection that I can't help but lean back into him and drift into the first peaceful sleep I've had in awhile.

Naruto POV

As the girl falls back asleep, she starts to make a sound. She's purring.

I don't know what to think of this, but I know she must be like me in some way.

I mean, she did try to commit suicide by jumping off the cliff I regularly visit, and she heals even faster than I do.