Chapter 1

Chapter 1-I hovered half over a small wooden chair in my cosy kitchen. My brother Hugo sat opposite me eating toast thick with jam. A wicked smile spread over my face as thought how alike he and my father were. Both were incapable of eating without leaving traces of food spread over their face and clothes. I resumed my search over the distant horizon, scanning the hill tops. 'Have the post owls come yet Rosie?' Asked my mother. She entered the room neatly avoiding a staggering pile of books stacked against the wall.

'No, not yet..' I trailed off as I saw a streak of brown approaching the window. Shrieking I jumped up, startling

Jasper my black cat who was sleeping next to the fire. He stretched and wandered off, thick tail stuck in the air. Dad walked in and opened the window, letting the old barn owl hop onto the sill. I reached forwards to undo the parchment attached to his leg, Exam results. Scrolling down the I felt light with relief. 'Straight O's!' I shouted, practically hopping with happiness.

'Well done darling' dad said. 'Thats even better than your mother got in her O.W.L's!' He grinned as mum laughed, giving him a friendly punch. Smiling I sat and reached for a stack of toast. Prefect, straight O student and hopefully griffindor chaser. This year was going to be great.