five

+

+

"Got any twos?"

"That's the third time you've asked me and the answer hasn't changed. Go fish."

Katsu grumbled, reaching toward the stack of multicolored cards placed in the center of the table. I rolled my eyes, leaning back in my chair as he rearranged the cards in his hand.

The first half of today was really ours to do whatever we wanted. We weren't supposed to show up to the Konohagakure Shinobi Academy until around twelve, leaving us with a few hours to kill before the first part of the chunin exams. Much to my boredom and great displeasure, I had been baited into playing a game of go fish.

I sighed, tossing my cards onto the table. Katsu looked up curiously, raising a brow.

"What's wrong?"

"This is boring." I stood from my chair, walking over to the only window in the room. I crossed my arms, looking outside at the village. The people from above looked like tiny ants. I was only able to make out some children running around, other civilians and shinobi just calmly walking and minding their own business. As much as I hated to admit it, Konoha was a beautiful village. In a sense, it was almost too beautiful. Like the beauty was there to hide some sort of underlying malice. I grimaced at the thought.

"Then what do you propose we do instead?" Katsu got up, walking over to his bed. He shuffled through his bag for a moment, before pulling out a sealing scroll.

I shrugged. "I say we head over early and get a good look at the competition."

He formed his hands into a seal, a puff of smoke appearing from the scroll. He waved it away to reveal a blade similar to mine, only it was much longer in length. I recognized it as his Katana, it being the first time I had seen it on the entire trip. Which was a little out of the ordinary. The weapon was practically always attached to his hip, and I had even caught him sleeping with it on more than one occasion.

Katsu fashioned it to himself and attached his other gear, including his Kunai pouch. He slid on his red jacket, the vibrant color almost the same shade as the sheath for his Katana.

It would be an understatement to say that the blade was beautiful, intricate golden lines curving overtop the bold red of the sheath. He had been approached on multiple occasions by people wanting to purchase the blade, offering up heavy sums of money without even batting an eyelash. But he turned them down each time.

To most the weapon would only seem pretty, wanting to mount it on their wall for decoration or a conversational piece. But Katsu's love for it wasn't just because of the aesthetic.