ACFQ

A/N: This was inspired by some fun wordplay and a dream. First, I watched the Doctor Who episode where they go to Appalapachia, the quarantined planet. I thought what a fun word to say. I tossed it around in my head for a while, and had a brainstorm. Appalapachia....Appalachian...There's a quarantine facility in the Appalachian Mountains, my brain said. And last night I had a dream about said facility in said place, and that's where this story begins

~~ ~~~~ 

December 22, 4057 

Dear Teacher Erpilon, 

I write this as the ship draws closer to ACFQ. I look out the frosted window at the falling snow and am reminded of that winter so many years ago. I came to your doorstep, alone and afraid. You gave me welcome and the rest is history. I'm in much of the same state now as then. I can only hope I will be received as well as I was that day. I can see the place from this window, and find myself shaking with what I hope is only fear. The facility is difficult for me to describe (not as a result of your teaching, it is from my lack of writing skill. I remember the countless hours you spent patiently coaxing the world of my mind to move to the wave tablet, or the parchment which you prefer. I write now with ink and paper for my respect of you, and also to remind myself of home.) I will try to plainly recount what I see: the mountains seem to be...enveloped...by what I assume is ACFQ. The walls appear to be of a translucent material, as I can see the snow-covered mountain they cover. The entire place is only visible by it's murky quality, only a slight contrast to the vast whiteness which surrounds everything. It's the whiteness which partly frightens me. It makes it seem as if I am...nowhere, lost in a blank unchanging space. Even the sky is white as an egg's shell. I'm almost eager to enter the facility, not wanting to spend too long alone outside for fear I'll be swallowed by the void, never to find my way again. The other part I'm afraid of, the most afraid of, is the anticipation of being apart from you for an indeterminable amount of time. I already am missing you, and I don't know how I will bear not seeing you every day...perhaps not for the rest of my life. I can only hope I'll be able to return soon.  

Sincerely, 

Lepiel