Can't Sleep.

The lake is so dark now.

You're having that nightmare again.

Your childhood was spent in a beautiful and welcoming house by a big lake but the home now looks so cold and unapproachable as the darkness closes in around you.

It's night time and there's a dark silhouette of a girl slowly crawling out of the lake's water as your fist pounds on the door of your previous home, trying to escape the ghostly figure but it's no use.

"Please, don't leave me again..."

You had no choice but to leave her, you would have both drown if you went back, neither of you could swim well. Especially not in that horrible lake, there was too many long plants underneath the surface.

This ghostly figure that plagues your every dream is none other than your little sister.

You still hate yourself for that day, your selfish choice that had lead to her dying slowly and painfully in that damn water, the horrible sounds of her gasping desperately for air still ring in your mind whenever you're in a quiet room.

It's the main reason you chose to become a pirate, so there was rarely any silence. You'd like to constantly hear light chatter, the kid's singing, the waves of the ocean, even your captain's crazy laughter.

Anything that covered that deafening silence was always welcome. 

But night time was the worst. 

When everyone fell asleep, you had no choice but to endure it.

Most of your days were exhausting, your bones would be aching and your movements sluggish because you'd lay awake all night, too scared to fall asleep because you knew she'd be waiting for you on the other side.

Although she doesn't look like your sister anymore, you still know it's her.

Her skin is pale blue, her eyes cloudy, her clothes ripped and worn, her hair wet and scruffy and her body limp as she walks weakly towards you.

Please, just go away! 

Her voice is by far the worst thing though, she sounds strained, as if she had been choking and it brings her death back to you in rapid flashes.

"Don't you love me anymore? Is that why you left me in the water?"

You were the one who had suggested playing on the wooden boat that day despite being told that it needs repairs and you were the one who was meant to be sensible, you were the older sister. 

You simply didn't understand, the little row boat was still floating on the surface of the lake so you didn't see what the problem was.

Not until you and your sister had paddled it into the centre of the lake anyway, your sister's foot had fell through the wood when she stood up and the small boat quickly began to fill with water, causing it to sink.

You had almost drowned yourself while making it back to land due to your legs getting tangled up in the weeds underneath the water's surface but your sister didn't even have a chance.

Her leg was still stuck in the boat, she was immobilised and due to her panicking and kicking her other leg, she also got caught up in the long weeds. 

She was completely terrified and screeching out for you to help before she was pulled under but you were too scared, too selfish to swim back and attempt to retrieve her.

Once out of the water, you ran as fast as you could into the kitchen but your mother was nowhere to be seen and your father was at work so you had just collapsed there and cried until your mother came home.