Chapter 1 - Home

Music - Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

•••

Saviour

As I sipped the last drop of my iced coffee, I finally closed my laptop after finishing the final round of edits for my client's novel before leaving the cafe. But when I stared out the glass windows, it was raining cats and dogs.

With a sigh, I pulled my umbrella from my bag and put it up as I made my way to the subway. It was around five in the afternoon and people were on a rush to get to their homes as soon as they can, hoping to spend the night longer with their families. I had no idea that white pants would be a bad option today, but here I was with stains on mine from the strutting passers-by.

"Fuck!" I yelled in shock as I missed a step and almost fell on the stairs after a man bumped over me. Of course, he was kind enough to flip me off when he caught me glaring at him.

I ran my hand through my hair and cursed under my breath as I closed my umbrella, the faint sound of guitar getting louder and louder as I walked. In the same spot where he would always play, Damon had just finished singing to his cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition as he strummed the chords of its outro on his guitar.

I looked to my side and saw the overwhelming line of people wanting to get on the train. With a shrug, I made my way to the musician and pulled my wallet from my pocket, dropping a five dollar bill as well as a fifty cent coin on his guitar case. When he heard the coin dropped, he turned his head to my side as soon as I said hi. I cleared my throat and asked, "Can you play I'm Not the Only One by Sam Smith?"

Damon had been playing in the subway for as long as I could remember and I would always stop by to listen to him sing for a while.

Damon fixed his shades that were crooked - probably after grooving to the song he just played - and smiled. "Let me guess, you've been cheated on?" He teased, but I shook my head, only to realize he couldn't see me.

"Not really, I just like the song," I replied and he nodded before he took a few seconds to figure out the chords with his guitar, humming its chorus in the process. "I'm happily married, sir."

"Sure," He smirked and finally strum the first chord of the ballad. While there were strangers busying themselves on what they were doing and others were lined up for the train, some, just like me were gathered around him, waiting for him to sing. I had been a fan of him since I started taking the train to Brooklyn. There was something really soulful in the way his velvety tone manipulate the words of any song. It had depth but it didn't feel too trained. He was passionate.

I wasn't able to listen to him completely as the next train soon arrived.

•••

When I was nearing our house, I grinned in excitement as soon as I saw my best friend's car parked outside. It had been a while since I last talked to Olivia but I was glad she visited. My job had been stressing me out these past few weeks and even if my husband would always be there to cheer me up, I needed her support. She was family.

As I got inside, Sgt. Pepper, our dog, bolted to greet me at the door, wagging his tail. "I miss you, Sergeant," I let out a giggle as I petted his head but he began to lick my face. "Where's your dad, buddy?"

When the sound of Sergeant's wagging tail stopped as he lay on the floor, I was greeted with silence and a faint sound of something that was creaking coming from our room. "Hold on, buddy, I'll give you a treat in just a moment."

I had just realized that no one was in the living room and usually, Peter would be watching TV on the couch. Even Olivia whom I thought came to visit, wasn't around.