Chapter One

I don't know how many times I looked at that clock but the bell couldn't have taken longer to ring that day. I know that when you're itching to leave, time seems to slow down like the cruel, twisted, sadistic bastard that it truly is. However, with how many times that I looked at that God-forsaken time-telling piece of furniture, I'm 85% sure that there were at least 20 minutes added to that school day.

A sudden voice drew me out of my thoughts, "Kiera, are you even listening to what I'm saying?"

The whole class snickered as I was shaken from my thoughts. The voice belonged to my teacher, Mr. O'Donnell, and he definitely had it out for me. I fact checked his history once and since then he's made it his life's mission to ruin my life. 

"Kiera," he called once more, waiting for me to answer the question.

"Yes Mr. O'Donnell?"

He smiled a crooked smile and leaned against his desk, "would you care to answer the question."

Just as I opened my mouth to say something, the bell rang. A smirk pulled at my lips as I watched Mr. O'Donnell's eyebrows furrow over his dark brown eyes. You could practically see the smoke coming out of his ears. The permanent scowl that adorned his face creased even deeper into his already wrinkled skin.

I jumped out of my seat and raced out the classroom, still in the process of stuffing my notebook in my backpack. There were too many times that I threatened to drop that class in my brain. It wasn't like I was failing the class or anything, I had perfectly good grades, I just hated the atmosphere of the classroom; it was always so tense and full of anxiety.

As I sauntered off of Evercrest High's campus towards the path through the woods to get to my house--practically galloping might I add--I got a lot of weird stares. But that's normal. Of course I would get weird stares, I'm the most mutated wolf that has ever existed.

When I was in kindergarten, people used to think it was cool that I had blue eyes and black fur despite being a brunette. If that sounds normal, I can assure you, for my pack, it wasn't. There are three reasons why: First, mature wolves never retain their blue eye color, and yet, here I am. Second, black fur despite being a brunette is weird in itself. Third, no one in my pack has black fur. I'm literally the only one. Everyone either has brown, red, or blonde fur. The only reason that people are nice to me is because my dad is the beta of our pack.

Being higher up in rank means having to live in the woods. It also means having to live in an undisclosed location in case of attack. For this reason, I could never have friends over. Not that anyone wanted to be my friend. I was kind of a loner.

Hell, if my dad wasn't pack beta, I probably would've been forced to live on the outskirts of town with the omegas. Well not really, the Alpha and his family have always been nice to me. They're cool though, they're lonely enough to be outcast but not socially impaired enough to be considered rogue wolves. The omegas throw the best parties, ask anyone.

Will you get out of your own head already and shift, I wanna run, my wolf, Esmerelda, commented.

"I'm getting there, don't get your tail in a twist," I replied and looked behind me to see if I was far enough away from the school to shift, "you know people look at us weird when we shift."

Yeah, yeah. I get it.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "you're so sympathetic Esme."

I could practically smell the sarcasm in her voice, You're too kind Kiera.

With that, I decided that I was far enough away from the school, set my backpack down and covered it with leaves, then let one of my claws elongate and scratched the tree trunk where my backpack was hidden to remember where the hell I even put it, and finally started to shift. I rolled my neck and my shoulders and then felt my shoulders flex as I could feel myself starting to shift already.