Chapter 1

Look, I'm not proud of my life. I'm not proud of the person I became, or the things I did. In ways I resent myself for them. But I cannot bring back time. Of the powers I do have, that I don't. I wish I did. At least then, I could have died, knowing I was the hero of the story. Not the villain.

     Before you say anything, let me explain. I didn't mean to set the chemistry class on fire, and that is why it was not my fault. At least not completely. Okay, it probably was, but it was an accident! I swear! Well, at least most of the part it was., I may or may not have accidentally held the flame of a flamethrower in chemistry too close to the curtains, while half asleep. Maybe in the deepest darkers corner of my mind I was wishing for something more exciting than the occational cough from our teacher or tap of a pen against the desk from a fellow student.

Anyway, despite my objections of setting the fire on purpose, after extinguishing the flames with a fire extinguisher, the teacher dragged me to the principals office, where I sat, waiting for my verdict; would I be suspended for a few days, or expelled completely?

I could see the teachers already hated me and the chances of staying here were slim. Not that I really wanted to. That was one thing I agreed with, with my teachers. I wasn't wanted here, in the Yarson Private School. The only reason I was here, was because my family - mother, father and three big brothers - were the superheroes of the world. Yup. Powerhouses, all of them. Saving the world and its citizens from evil and danger, fighting the villains and bringing justice, blah, blah, blah.

Normal people would be thrilled to have their family be world famous, and having everyone admire them because of it. I didn't. In fact, I hated it. Because it meant that my family was out in the world night and day, saving people, while I stayed at home, suffering through middle school alone.

No one to help me with homework, or stydying for test. No one to have fun with. In fact, I don't remember the last time I actually hung out with my family and had fun.

My eyes roamed the principals office, taking in the shelves packed with books and pictures. A diploma of some kind hung from the wall in a brown frame, and I read something along the lines of: "Honorary Diploma to Dr. Frederic Mushmore, granted for astounding work as a teacher. Signed by..." There were a few fancy signeratures, but I couldn't make out the names. Not that I really cared. I just wanted to look at something while the principal, Dr. Frederic Mushmore, stared at me coldly.

Dr. Mushmore was a man in his fourties with light brown hair that was brushed sideways on his head. His moustache barely existed, yet he slowly stroked it, as if that would make it more real. It didn't. 

Finally I got tired of the silence and turned to him. "Did you have something to say, or are we going to sit here for the rest of the day in awkward silence?" I smirked as I saw Dr. Mushmore restrain a flinch. Most of the teachers, though hating me, were afraid. Maybe they were scared that if they expelled me, my parents would break their necks. Maybe they were afraid that I would do it myself, being there son. See, most people thought I had gotten their powers as a powerhouse like my brothers had and that I was only waiting to get out of middle school to go fight alongside my parents.

That wasn't the deal though. My powers... well, they hadn't appeared yet. I was powerless, or so it seemed. I wasn't weak, but I wasn't superstrong. I was just an avarage eighth grader, which was kind of disappointing.

All of my brotheres had discovrerd their powers in the lower grades of elementary. I was in middle school and still waiting.

Dr. Mushmore regained his posture and returned to his cold stare. "Why is it, Alex, that we always meet like this?" he asked. I shrugged. If I got to choose, I wouldn't be here at all.