flashback

Mom rang the bell. Aylee scurried beside her 7 siblings to the dinner table. They stood behind their chairs, waiting for the okay.

"You may now sit" said their dad. they pulled the chairs out. allison and luther smiled at each other. Aylee looked away.

They began to eat. 5, her favorite brother, coughed.

"number 5?" asked reginald.

"I want to time travel." he declared. aylee shook her head at him, but he didn't look at her.

"no. we've discussed this. you aren't ready. it's far too unpredictable."

"i've been practicing my spatial jumps like you've said" 5 appeared by dad. "see?

"one is like simply gliding over the ice and reappearing. the other is like diving underwater and reappearing above as an acorn." dad said

5 twisted his lips. "i don't get it"

"that is precisely why you're not ready"

the next moment was a blur. all aylee knew was that 5 ran, and she followed.

he ran out the gate. she scurried after him. she reached forward and grabbed his shoulder. she felt herself being pulled through an intensely hot and humid suction. she felt a few pops. she felt queasy. she finally opened her eyes. she saw burning buildings. she looked around. she was on the ground. 5 was above her.

"5? where are we?"

"Aylee oh my god. we're trapped" a single tear rolled down 5s cheek. "i'm so sorry aylee"

"no. no." she shook her head. "we can't be. c'mon. we'll find the others.

5 knowingly followed her to the mansion. "aylee." she kept walking. "AYLEE!" she didn't turn around. he grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. "they're dead"

"who? what do you mean?" her voice quivered.

"i found them. our siblings. they were older. much older. but it was them. they were dead. i couldn't find ben. there's hope there..." he trailed off. "i'm sorry aylee. but we're in this together. we're trapped here together. we can escape this" 5 was hiding his fear as best he could for aylee.

aylee took off running to the mansion

———————————————————
au: if you've read this far, thank you so much! please vote and add to your library! love you all xx