Chapter 1

I had managed to survive the summer by running away to my aunt's house. I was back now, and school was back in session. My mother dropped me off as she usually did, but today she said something I wasn't expecting.

"I'm not going to be able to pick you up today," I gave a little gasp, turning in the car seat.

"Mom, you have to give me a ride! I have a target on my back!" I became a little freaked out as I imagined get dragged down some alley and shot on my way home.

"Look, just stick with a large group and stay on the main streets," my mother told me, "I know you're worried about them, but it's been three years without confrontation. You're just being paranoid now." I gaped at her.

"Do you really care so little about my safety?!" my voice was filled with panic, "They promised that one day they would make me pay for my comments!"

"They are just a bunch of kids! What can they do when the main street is crawling with militiamen!" My mother shouted back, "They've been making empty threats for years!" She took a deep breath as she pulled into the parking lot, turning to me when she came to a stop.

"Look, I've got to go in for a meeting with my editor. You know our family's been suffering since the supernaturals made their way over here and kicked your father out of his job." I looked down, burning with hate. This was true.

After X had been taken from power and Earth had become part of the Intergalactic council again, changes had been made. The planet had been named Earth once again and eventually, we had opened our planet again to the supernaturals. It was a great idea at first, a show of peace to those the old leader had once wronged, but eventually, supernaturals began to escape to Earth. They spread across every country, and, because of their powers, kicked others out of their jobs. Companies wanted those who could use their powers to make work easier and faster over the humans who lived on Earth. Like many others, my father lost his job as a doctor to a supernatural with x-ray vision. That was when I was in sixth grade.

Since then, I had come to hate the supernaturals, as many in this small town did. They came here and destroyed everyone's lives. From the arrival of supernaturals came the anti-supernatural movement.

It also marked the rise of the Scarlet Reapers, a gang supposedly made of children who fought the anti-supernatural movement. I had made the mistake of making an anti-supernatural comment in front of a member way back in my freshman year. At that time, he had promised me that I would pay for my words, and I had lived in fear of the gang for the past three years.

They were the reason my mother always gave me a ride to and from school, and why I always had to run away during the summer. Though my mother doubted their threats, I knew better.

"Bye, darling," My mother smiled at me as I got out of the car, "I promise you'll be alright,"

"Whatever," I muttered, trying to calm my racing heart.

English was my first hour, and I walked in with a prayer in my heart. A prayer that for this year, just this once, he wouldn't be in my class.

"Destiny..." a voice hissed into my ear, making me jump. My eyes met his cold ones and I felt my heart race.

"Tanner," I tried to keep my voice even, "You're in my English class again, I see." He just sneered.

"Watch your words," He whispered as he walked around me, "And watch your back..." I stared straight ahead as he passed, before walking to the back of the classroom on shaking legs. A large group was gathered in the back corner, some in the chairs, some leaning against desks. I joined them, noticing their angry glances at Tanner.