Prologue

Fadingpaw raced from ShardClan's camp in the cliffs. She skillfully climbed down the rocks, her black pelt bristling. RippleClan was attacking the border, just down below the huge cliff where the camp was. Barkstar was no where to be found as she reached the battling cats. Screeches filled the air and made Fadingpaw's head ache. I have to find Barkstar! She is the only family I have left!

Suddenly, a gray RippleClan warrior zoomed in front of her, he slashed his claws down her flank. She hissed with fury, unsheathing her claws and lashing out wildly.  She felt a pang of satisfaction as her claws tore through fur, but the gray warrior was already recovered when she caught her breath. He lashed his tail and she lunged at him.

"Get off of our territory!" Fadingpaw yowled as she leaped onto his back and scored her claws down his flank

The gray warrior hissed, "Never! Not until we win." He twisted in the air and Fadingpaw fell off. He landed above her and bit into her neck. She screeched with terror as pain swept through her. She felt blood gush from the wound as he retreated to attack more of her clanmates. She saw Barkstar, finally. The brown leader looked the suffering Fadingpaw. She simply snorted with disappointment. As her life faded away, Fadingpaw felt fury ripple through her pelt. Then darkness.

Fadingpaw opened her eyes. She was in a starry clearing. There were no trees in sight, just a few rocks and a river. She heard prey dark around. This was it. This was StarClan.

A dark brown warrior with a starry pelt walked towards her from behind a large rock. He dipped his head at her. "You have suffered in your life, Fadingpaw, but your fought like a true warrior. StarClan come to give you your warrior name as Fadingstorm, for everything you have been through."

"Fadingstorm!"
"Fadingstorm!"

More StarClan warriors appeared, yowling her new name. Fadingstorm's mind whirled. It was all happening too fast, and she felt confusion press down on her. But she held her ground and blinked gratefully at every cat.

A ginger-and-white she-cat stepped up to her. Her eyes were narrowed and showed no emotion. "You do not belong in StarClan just yet, young one. A cat as ambitious and angry as you are must find where she belongs."

Fadingstorm flinched. "What does that mean?" she whimpered.

The warrior lashed her tail once. "You will remain with every other Clan in the land shared as only a spirit until you find the right path." She touched noses with Fadingstorm. The StarClan cats began to fade, and she heard the ginger-and-white cat's voice once more. "The stars in your eyes betray every one of your mistakes," the voice hissed.