Mislead Expectations

The promise of rain had lead Kawaii~Chan to bring her umbrella out with her, yet as she walked the streets the sun shined as brightly as ever, the sky a perfect periwinkle blue. It fit her mood; happy and excited, anticipating wonderful opportunity. She breathed in the air, light with the taste of the summery breeze, and exhaled with a smile on her face. This was going to be a great day. She'd solve the problem that had guilt tearing at her heart these past days. She was going to fix the mistake she caused.

Kawaii~Chan was going to earn enough money to repay her housemates for the costs of the damage that the fire she had created had caused.

Yes, she'd already gotten a second job at the maid café with Aphmau, but the place she had was going to had a better salary and working times that her first job at IHOP. She'd trade IHOP for that in a heartbeat.

Swallowing her shame, Kawaii~Chan strode towards her job interview. It was to be at an adorable cat café, the only one for thousands of miles so it was extremely popular (it was a Japanese concept after all, and hadn't spread through the world much... yet), and Kawaii~Chan was determined to work there. Not only was she practised in working at cafes and coffee shops, but she was also cute and (above all) pretty much a cat anyway! There was no way she wasn't going to get a job there.

Daydreaming and smiling at passer-bys, the Mei'fwa nearly walked past the café but was luckily pulled back to her thoughts by a loud meow. She quickly pranced inside, happily noting the large poster with the words; "HELP WANTED" surrounded by little cute paw prints.

She placed her closed umbrella into the holder by the door.

The person waiting to provide service to customers in the doorway looked up to see her. He wore a headband with fake white cat ears. Kawaii~Chan stifled a giggle.

"Welcome to the Cutesy Kitty-Cat Café!~" he smiled broadly "How may I help you?"

"Kawaii~Chan is here for a job interview!" the Mei'fwa purred excitedly. The man raised an eyebrow, whether it was about her name, her talking in third-person or the job interview, she didn't know or care.

"Very well, follow me and I shall take you to the manager" the worker replied, gesturing for her to follow.

They weaved their way through the dining area towards the cat lounge.

She heard a loud clutter like someone dropping their fork onto the plate accidentally. Kawaii~Chan turned her head to see a man forcibly looking down at the stack of pancakes in front of him, fumbling with his cutlery. He had a head of black hair with a fringe completely covering his left eye. A mask was hanging around his neck, obviously moved so he could eat with more ease. With a small shudder Kawaii~Chan recognised him.

He was the one who nobody liked, who caused trouble. The one Aphmau had opened up to despite warnings from all her friends. The one who'd make people's lives miserable just for a laugh. The one who both repulsed and intrigued Kawaii~Chan. The one who she'd always turned her back on and could never bring herself to show kindness towards due to the stories. The stories of him vandalising the Highschool they once went to, stories of him spitting insults and hate at Garroth for years and years since they were children, stories of him joining the shadow knights then deciding to form his own more formidable and terrifying group of lackeys. Knowing about him having a way with his words and his deep, charming voice to get what he wanted.

Zane Ro'Maeve.

Their eyes met for a mere moment and a spark of recognition sent a strange mewl threatening to break free of her lips.

Her first thought was; What the hell is he doing here?

Her second; He's not wearing his mask properly...