01

Chapter One: Auditions

Secrets. Everyone has them. Some people just keep more than others.

I was sitting in the cafe across the apartment my father and I live in, trying to study for the math exam I have coming up on Friday. Math. My worst subject. Honestly, I don't see how fractions and calculus will help us in the future. My earphones were in and I was listening to "Let It Be" by The Beatles. It was one of my favourite songs.

I was on my computer working when the bell connected to the front door jingled. Why did I take notice to this? Because nobody ever comes into this cafe at this hour. It was 8pm and the place was going to close in a few minutes.

I look up from my computer and see someone staring back at me. He looked like he was in his twenties. His messy brunette hair with a streak of grey matched the color of his eyes. His eyes. The left one was grey, but the right one was hazel. I had never seen anything like them.

Before I knew it, he had ordered and was walking up to my table. I looked up and stared at him, my brown eyes blazing through his.

"Can I help you?" I ask, sounding a little ruder than I intended to be.

"What's your name?"

British. He has a british accent.

"I'm sixteen," I inform him. As I said before, the guy looks twenty. I'm not going to give him any ideas.

"Hello sixteen. I'm seventeen."

Before I could reply, the barista called out, "Order for Logan?"

The guy got up, took his drink, and left the cafe, leaving me speechless.

The entire way home, all I could think about was that this guy was only seventeen. Seventeen. He looked at least twenty, if not twenty two.

I had never seen him before and I live in Strola Heights. A neighborhood where everyone knew everyone. Maybe he was new. He probably was.

Does that mean he'll go to my school? Probably not.

I push the thoughts to the back of my head as I walk into the apartment.

"Dad?" I call out. "Are you home?"

Nobody responded, so I assumed that he took an extra shift at work. My dad's a nurse for the local hospital. Ever since my mother passed, he's been working extra hard to earn enough money to support me. I tell him that he doesn't have to worry about me since I have a job, but he insists on it.

"Boo!"

I scream, but when I turn around, I see my dad standing in front of me.

"What the h-e-double hockey sticks dad?!"

"Chill sweet pea! I'm just trying to have some fun."

"Fun. Okay, since when is scaring your daughter fun?" I ask, emphasizing the word fun.

He chuckles and pulls me into a hug.

"Since today," he responds. "Come on, I have a surprise for you."

I follow him to the kitchen and my eyes widen at the sight in front of me. Chinese food. A whole bucket of it. I squeal with joy before reality sets in.

"Dad," I start. "We really can't afford this."

"Well I have news honey. Real good news." He hesitates for second for a dramatic effect before screaming "I got raise!"

That's when I start screaming with him.

"AHH! That's great dad!"

We spent the entire night talking. Me filling him in on school, and him telling me about the drama between the doctors at the hospital. I swear the hospital in my neighborhood is like an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Full of drama.