Jealousy

He watched as Diane laughed at whatever stupid joke Sirius had told her. He stayed a ways away so he could observe her without getting caught.

Severus and her had become somewhat of friends. Diane was a woman that was willing to actually get to know him beneath that mean, hard shell. And she was kind to him. She gave him genuine smiles and intelligent conversations. She didn't try and use him like so many had tried in the past. She was someone he could surprisingly tolerate.

Okay, he was lying. Tolerate was such a mediocre word. He loved her company and their talks. He loved the way she would laugh and leaned against him whenever she would fall asleep in his office. He loved the small touches she gave him and the respect that she gives him.

Now here she was, just showing Severus that he wasn't special. She didn't only share her beautiful qualities for only him. This was her personality. This was just her character, and Sirius was enjoying every moment of it.

He had seen enough and made his way out the door. He wasn't going to stand there and watch Sirius flirt with a woman he had feelings for...

Feelings?

Did he have feelings for her?

He was lost in his thoughts as he sat on the bottom step of the Burrow as the festivities continued indoors.

He felt an arm snake around his and a lips placed on his cheek. He looked over to see Diane snuggled on his arm.

"Thank goodness I found you! I was afraid you left me here."

"You seemed occupied. My absence wouldn't bother you much."

"How you figure that, you dungeon bat?"

"Because that mutt in there clearly has your undivided attention." he said with a sneer but she only giggled at his statement.

"Oh you seen that!? Did you see the way he was basically following me around? Ridiculous! He even asked me on a date!"

"Interesting. And here I thought you were completely smitten by his obnoxious charm."

"He's sweet but he's not my type."

"So...you said no?"

"Of course I did!"

"There's one thing I know about Gryffindors, especially the ones inside, is that they don't take no for an answer. So what exactly did you really say to him?"

She sighed and looked at him,"I told him that I was in love with someone else."

He smirked and cut his eye at her curiously," The great, honest Diane willingly lying? I never thought I live to witness the day."

She smiled and shook her head," I didn't lie, Severus."

Severs tensed at that and became sad all over again. She not only fancy someone, but was in love with them. Why must she torture him this way. First Lily and now Diane! Could he not find love and happiness?

He cleared his throat and detached from her as stood up,"Goodnight, Diane."

She looked at him confused before he apparated to who knows where. She did the same and arrived at Hogsmead. She walked up to Hogwarts and headed for her personal chambers. She made a mental note to talk to Severus in the morning.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Diane haven't seen Severus all day, even during meals in the Great Hall. She was getting worried, she knew he was productive, considering be had classes. But after the students were dismissed, he would vanish immediately.

'Is he avoiding me?'

It was after dinner when she decided to approach him. He was sitting at his desk when she entered and closed the door.

"I'm busy, Diane." he said sternly.

"Sevy-"

"-Erus! Sev-er-us! That's my name."

His tone struck a nerve in her, her brain not totally comprehending the situation. He went back to his grading and she just stood there with furrowed brows.

"Severus...did I do something wrong?"

Her voice was soft and stricken, like it was hard for her to breathe. His eyes glanced up at her and his heart quickened. Even near tears, she was breathtaking.

She seen his face soften and he let out a heavy sigh. He dropped his quill and leaned back in his chair, raising an eyebrow.

"You did nothing wrong."

"No, no. I did. And I'm so sorry if I did and I promise I won't do it again if you just tell me what it was." her vision started to get blurry and she wiped her eyes, hating herself for getting so freaking emotional.

She didn't realize Severus had walked over to her and was now pulling her into him.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you," he mumbled in her hair,"I'm just having a bad day.

"But you were mad at me last night. Was it Sirius? Were you mad about that?"

"Yes. I was at first until you told me you weren't interested in him..."

She sniffed and looked up at him stunned. He looked nervous, almost embarrassed at the moment, but she couldn't care less.

"You were jealous? But I don't like him."

He answered Diane, but looked everywhere else but her,"I know now but...I'm jealous at the man that captured your heart before I did."

She gasped and smiled before brining her lips to his. They pulled apart after a few seconds, resulting a happy Diane and a shocked Severus.

"So you're jealous of yourself?" she asked with a goofy grin.

"Me? You have feelings for me?"

"Of course you dunderhead! I love you. It's ok if you don't feel exactly the same. I didn't know if you would even accept my affections."

"I had feelings for you for some time, Diane. It's hard to believe someone like you would even look in my way."

"How could I not? With your dramatic flare and mysterious aura." she gasped.

"Um...thank you?"he said with a raised brow.

"The great bat of the dungeon!" she started to tease.

'Here we go.' he groaned mentally.

"Very funny." He sneered as he walked away.

"The Dark Prince strides away, covered in his black cloak of dispare! He leaves his damsel behind but she decided to follow him and taunt him for eternity!" she exclaimed dramatically while following him to his chambers.

"Go away Diane!" He quickened his pace.

"Nanananananana BATMAAAAAN!!!"

"That's it!"

He grabbed her, threw a giggling Diane over his shoulder, and disappeared into his room for the rest of the night.