A Detention With Professor Snape [One Shot]

"Megan!" My friend - and niece - Tara hollered at me, "Wait up!"

"Oh, hi, Tara," I turned around and smiled at her. 

"What class are you going to?" she asked me.

"Potions with Professor Snape. Where are you going?" I smiled at the thought of seeing Professor Snape today. The butterflies in my belly made me blush.

"Charms," she smirked and then whispered in my ear, "Good luck."

She took off down the other corridor towards the charms classroom while I headed to the dungeons for potions. This is my seventh year at Hogwarts, and it's Tara's second. We are both in Gryffindor.

Tara is usually found hanging out with the Weasley twins even though they're a couple years ahead of her. She tends to get into trouble quite often. I'm more reserved and focused on my classes. 

You see, I've always fancied Professor Snape since my first year here. He always picks on me because I'm a Gryffindor, though. 

"Oh, hello, Murphy," shivers went down my spine as I heard his deep voice beside me.

"Hello, Professor Snape," I smiled and blushed.

"Headed to my class, I see," he said.

I nodded, "Yes, Professor, I am." I turned away from his gaze and continued to walk towards the dungeons. The rest of the way we walked in silence, but it wasn't awkward. It was more calming really.

I made it to the class just as the bell rang, and he walked into class right beside me. I took a seat in the only vacant spot, next to a Slytherin who smelled funny. His name is Zachary Glacier, and he took up most of the row. I was half way off my seat. His stench made me want to barf. I may be nice but I have limits. I raised my hand.

"Yes, Murphy?" Professor Snape called on me.

"May I be excused?" I tried my best not to breathe.

"No, why?" He glared at me sternly, which gave me goosebumps.

"It's just..." I looked over at the Slytherin who smiled at me with his crooked, bad teeth. He really needs better hygiene. "Never mind."

"Ok then," he turned back to the board to continue the lesson.

I suffered the rest of the class, but once the bell rang I darted out of there. As much as I liked Professor Snape I could not stand another minute next to that Zach kid. I felt like I personally needed to shower after being next to him for an hour. 

The rest of the day went on all right. I talked to Tara here and there in the hallways, lunch, dinner, and in the common room. I talked to other friends too, like Matt, Fred, George, Lee, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Cassie. Matt is Tara's childhood friend. He's in her year and in our house. He has brown hair and green eyes. Cassie is Tara's friend too, but is a Hufflepuff in her first year. She has blonde hair and blue eyes just like Tara does. I talk to Cassie mainly in the hallways or between classes. 

Harry, Ron, and Hermione are a trio in Tara's year. They talk to Tara and I quite often. Fred, George, and Lee are in Gryffindor in their fourth year, and they hang out with Tara all the time. They constantly are pranking me, but I never get mad. It annoys them something terrible and it's hilarious. 

The common room fell quiet as everyone retreated upstairs to their dorms. I realized it was late so I headed up myself. When I got up there Tara was already asleep. I looked in my bag for something, only to realize I left it in the potion's classroom. It's something very important. Professor Snape CANNOT read it or find it. It was my diary!

I gathered up my courage and woke up the Fat Lady to exit the common room. She was not very pleasant with me. "How rude! Waking up a lady at this hour!" I just continued on walking as she carried on.

I lit my wand, "Lumos." As I continued on down the hall towards the dungeon I had to be extra careful. I didn't want to get caught. I took a route that Tara showed me that Filch and Mrs. Norris never take. I guess Tara was shown by Fred and George. It was behind a painting of a pumpkin that hardly anyone knew about. It's a small painting but opens into a rather large corridor. I made it to the dungeons.

The challenge is getting passed Professor Snape now. His chambers are near the classroom and any noise could wake him. 

I unlocked the classroom with a spell, and I creeped inside. Only to be met by Snape himself. Reading my diary. He may not have known it was at first since it just looks like a plain notebook.

"Looking for this?" he raised it into the air and sat it on his desk. I nodded with my head down, and I am absolutely bloody positive my face was as red as a tomato. 

'Oh this is just awful...' I thought to myself.

"8:00pm here tomorrow. Detention." he escorted me back to the Fat Lady, who was still rambling on about being woken up the first time.

I laid back on my bed in the dorm, and I glanced at the clock. It was midnight. I guess detention wouldn't be so bad. I mean, it is with my biggest crush. I've never had detention before! I hope it isn't torturous. Overall, I'm actually excited. While my thoughts continued to run a million miles an hour, I eventually passed out into a deep slumber.

I had a good dream about being on a date with Professor Snape, but I didn't make it to the end of the dream. Tara began shaking me awake. "We're gonna be late! Hurry!" she seemed frazzled. I usually am the one waking her up. I went ahead and got dressed for the day and made sure I looked extra nice for my detention.

The day went on like any other day. Tara and I talked to Harry and Ron about the tree they ran a car into at the start of this year. We also talked about a prank that Harry, Ron, and Hermione wanted to pull on Draco Malfoy. This caught Tara's attention as well as the twins. They wanted all in on it. Before I knew it I had to leave for detention.

"Don't die!" Tara waved enthusiastically towards me as I left. She was still very amused that I got a detention with Professor Snape. I laughed and waved back at her.

'Oh, this is going to fun,' I thought to myself.

I approached the dungeon door to the potion's classroom, and I gulped. I became nervous. I opened it. It was exactly 8:00pm.

"Murphy, I'd like you to clean the cauldrons and beakers in the storage cabinet," he stated bleakly.

"Yes, Professor. Anything you say," I nodded and went on about my way, not making eye contact.

"That notebook. Was it your diary?" he asked with no emotion. I could not bring myself to respond. My face turned beat red. "I thought so," he cleared his throat.

'Figured, that I'd be dumped without even asking him out,' I wanted to cry I was so embarrassed.

"You do realize I'm much too old for you, and I'm a professor here," he paused, "It's against the rules to date students."

I threw my rag down, tears threatening to fall. I was highly embarrassed but couldn't help but state how I felt. I might as well after all this, right?

"Screw age. Screw the rules," I glared at him, but it was more of a pitiful glare, "I'm about to graduate anyway."

He smirked and walked towards me. "I guess I could forget the rules just this once, Murphy."

It was then that I felt like time stopped moving. Everything felt right. Everything felt...brilliant. Professor Snape scooped me up and kissed me. 

I, of course, kissed back.