Storm and Silence : 87 - 88

~ Rikkard Ambrose ~
point of view

 "Should we split up?" She asked in the deepest pit of her voice

"Should we split up?" She asked in the deepest pit of her voice. It was strange and rare occasion to happen especially for her.

I shook my head, "Smell that?" I pointed down one corridor. My brows furroweds as I inhaled the scent. "That way smells of oil and smoke. The engine room will be down there. Knowing Lord Dalgliesh, he would never keep such sensitive papers anywhere near a burning fire."

She arched a brow.

"Let's go this way"

I led her to where my instincts let me go. I was very confident about it, so we walked and walked...and walked until we reached a dead end.

Crikey!

I stopped, and when I did, so did she.

Her breathing was a very prominent sound behind my ears. We both paused for a moment for I was thinking of another possible way.

For goodness sake Rikkard! You should've known.

Oh bloody hell with it!

"All right, Let's turn around. I think there wad another junction not too far back. We ca—"

I was cut short by the dogs.

"...everything been stored down here?" Said a very familiar dog

"Yes, everything, apart from these last few sacks."

I turned my body around to look her; and she looked at me knowing what was supposed to happen now. I leaned down to her ear and told her two words that she always took granted for, "Stay calm". My hand latched its way to her shoulder and stayed there awkwardly.

What am I doing?

The fear in her deep brown-chocolate covered eyes says it all. The way the tiniest muscles on her face twitched and the ball going down her throat, trying to swallow the innate fear I purposely gave her. A swelling inside my chest burned.

Probably a pulled muscle.

I continued, "We will just walk past them. Remember, those are soldiers, just like us. We can simply walk past them."

"And the me didn't open a single crate or sack?" the voice continued from the other side of the wall.

"Yes, Lord Dalgliesh"