one

******** Brynn ********

The path to the school gate was dry and dusty under the blistering sun. Brynn bit down on her lip as she drew closer to the front doors. Her mother was close behind preparing to enrol her daughter into her third school this year. Fitting in, it's harder than it looks. She stopped at the red brick building, preparing herself to go inside.
This is it, she thought. This better be the fucking one.
A bird was singing softly in the distance and Brynn hoped it was a sign of what was to come. She hoped, for her mother's sake, that she could keep smiling here... and that no one would realise the truth.

The inside of the school smelt like sweat. A hot summers day full of sweltering teens restricted by a dress code that was probably older than time itself. The office was quiet, a few students dotted the plastic seats avoiding eye contact with each other. Typical teens, antisocial, alone and annoyed. The golden days of childhood turned into a nightmare of anxiety and judgement.

Brynn took a seat in the plastic chair the furthest away from anyone else and her mother sat beside her. "Seems nice" her mother whispered, "cheery" she added with a smile. Brynn nodded with a smile that didn't meet her ocean blue eyes. Her mother had inherited the optimism of the family and Brynn was left without. She knew that behind the colourful walls hid the creatures of nightmares, bitches ready to pounce on fresh new pray. She could smell their expensive perfume and hear their mocking laughter. She sighed out loud but before anyone could catch her she plastered her smile back on. "This will be the one mom" she said warmly, "I promise!"