Chapter 1

Chapter

*When Chinese is being spoken the words with be in brackets like this: [ ]

The girl sat propped up against the wall overlooking the Mingde school courtyard. Her short black hair stuck out from under the beanie she was wearing. Even though the weather was getting warmer in Shenghai, a long sleeve shirt and flannel covered her upper body. The jeans she wore hung off her petite frame and her pant legs were rolled up several inches, a sign they weren't the correct length for her.

As Hua Ze Lei approached her, he saw that she had earbuds in. He slowed his approach so he wouldn't startle her.

She was not someone he recognized from the school. It was definitely not one of his students. But as he got closer, he began to wonder why she wasn't. As the music she listened to continued, she raised her arms up until they were even with her shoulders. She tilted her head down so it appeared her chin was resting on something. Her left arm reached out as if holding on to something as her right arm moved back and forth over the invisible object. The fingers on her left hand would periodically move as if she were holding down various strings on an instrument. Lei could tell exactly what instrument she was invisibly playing because he played the same one. The violin.

He stopped walking and stood, watching the grace and ease at which she played. Englufed in the music, the girl's eyes were closed and she swayed as she heard the music come from the invisible violin she now played.

As she finished, Lei smiled and applauded. "Hen Hao." (Very good). She jumped in fright noticing him for the first time. Pulling her earbuds out, she stood up and bowed apologetically. "Bàoqiàn. Bàoqiàn." (sorry). Gathering up all her things as she spoke, she quickly made her way off of the roof.

Lei stood by, confused. His gaze followed her as she left the area. He chuckled to himself and stepped up on the bench, lay down and closed his eyes.

A knock on the door drew the attention of Ming De University's dean. [Come in.] He waved his arm at the younger man he saw through the window. "Iaoshi (teacher) Hua Ze Lei." He motioned for him to sit down. Lei gave a small bow as he opened the door, but politely declined to sit. [What can I help you with?]

[Have we had any new transfer students lately?]

[Let me check.] The man ruffled through stacks of papers on his desk. After looking through several dozen he shook his head. [I'm sorry I don't see any. But as you can tell I am overwhelmed with paperwork. If something turns up I will let you know.]

Lei thanked him and turned to leave.

[Why do you ask?] The Dean asked without looking up from his computer.

Lei shrugged and left the room.

[Shencai made pancakes this morning with pineapple syrup. See, I'm still inspiring her cooking.] Dao Ming Si picked up his cup proudly and took a sip. He smiled broadly as the cup left his lips

Ximen Yan, Feng Mei Zuo and Hua Ze Lei all looked at each other and chuckled. Even though at times Si's gushing over his wife Dong Shencai was annoying, the men of F4 were more than overjoyed that the two had made it to where they were now. Before they married over two years ago, it seemed like Si and Shencai would never be together. They had to face so many perils in their relationship. So many trials. But through it all their love for each other grew stronger and their support for and faith in each other was something that could never be broken despite all that was thrown at them.

[We can taste the Si syrup when we come from breakfast on Saturday.] Mei Zuo leaned forward in his chair and grabbed the bao from the plate that was on the table in front of him. Before taking a bite he looked at both Lei and Ximen and asked, [How are you spending the day? Are you up for a little basketball later?]