Part 1

Dear Diary,

I just got promoted today! I'm the new Operations Manager of my company's Finance Division. We had a celebratory dinner at the restaurant right across our office. Most people in my existing team were so elated, some of my closest co-workers gave me gifts and even bought me a cake. They're so kind. Some who were not really kind to me before became extra-nice to me today. I didn't mind and I still don't like those people, but I'm simply happy and elated today, I don't think I'd be able to sleep.

==============================================================================

Dear Diary,

Today was my first day as a manager, and it wasn't as exciting as I expected it to be. I went to meetings all day that I barely had the time to meet my new team. Most of those meetings could have been replaced with just a summary email, but being new to this department, I couldn't demand people to cancel meetings I don't want to go to, particularly the ones that run for 2 straight hours discussing so many issues with no clear resolution in the end. It's a damn waste of time but unfortunately, other managers seemed to enjoy going to those meetings.

==============================================================================

Dear Diary,

I finally got to meet my new team today. They were so quiet. I felt like they're walking on eggshells around me. I mean I know how the boss-employee relationships are in this company - we mostly have power-tripping, manipulating, egomaniac managers. I don't want to be one of them. I don't want my team to follow my orders out of fear. All I want is mutual respect and a harmonious relationship with these guys. I'm not sure I could achieve that. I hope I could achieve that.