A Morning in Philadelphia

The sun climbed its way up over the horizon and spread its golden rays over the land. The fresh spring leaves and buds seemed to glow when they were covered in a blanket of heat and light. The cold dark shade of Philadelphia turned to a warm bright light as the residents started to wake up and begin another day.

In the home of Dr. Benjamin Franklin, the sunlight sneaked through the window and into one of the rooms, as well as many. The man in the bed blinked open his eyes, yawned, and stretched his arms out. The man stood from the bed and walked over to the window. He looked down at the streets below where many men and women were walking outside for some morning exercise, packing or unpacking carriages and carts, or opening up their businesses.

Moses sighed as he saw two men who were brothers hug each other before they parted ways. He thought back to Richmond, Virginia, where he saw his own brother, Cato, get sold to another man and then join the British to stop the rebellion in turn for freedom after he failed to convince him to come with him. He was then captured by the plantation men and would have been brought back into slavery since he forgot to bring his letter with him, written by Doctor Benjamin Franklin saying that he was free. Luckily, he was rescued by his young friends James, Sarah, and Henri. The cruel practice of slavery drove them apart and their paths to freedom also did.

Moses grabbed his clothes, walked downstairs to the shed behind the house, where the bath was. It was just a simple large pail with some water in it. After heating up the water, he stripped off his nightwear and settled himself into the pail. The warm water felt soothing against his skin and made him feel relaxed. It seemed to take the stress off his shoulders from everything that happened in the last few months seemed to be gone, even though he knew it wasn't. After cleansing himself, he dried himself with the large piece of thin cloth that served as a towel and dressed himself in his usual clothing: His medium-sleeved, buttoned up, collared, white top; dark brown pants; and light brown boots.

He disposed of the used water and went back inside, walking to the main room of the business, where the printing press stood on its legs. The Pennsylvania Gazette would open in an hour or two and he began to prepare the press for printing. The only thing he'll need was either James's or Sarah's story, but so far there was nothing to report. It became a little boring once in a while, Moses could feel it in everyone. James always wanted something to write to prove that he would someday move from an apprentice journalist to a 'full-fledged journalist' as James put it. The problem with James was that he wants to move from an apprentice and impress Dr. Franklin so much that it sometimes gets in the way of his mind and heart, he could think of many different examples of how this was true.

Sarah decided to become a journalist a few months ago when she and James rode with Paul Revere and William Dawes. She wanted the readers of the Gazette to also get the views of the British side of the current conflict instead of just the rebel side. She and James often got in arguments over just about everything, including if she would would go along with him during ambushes, marches, or any events. She always makes her points clear and strong without any fear of getting in trouble, it makes her one of the most remarkable women Moses knew. But often her pluckiness would get her or others in situations, such as when they went to Vermont and were taken captive by the Green Mountain Boys, luckily they let them go.

Henri plays the role of the kid who always got into trouble. A good hearted and good intentioned boy who doesn't see the maturity and seriousness of the recent events, only seeing the adventure and excitement of dangerous and suspenseful situations. The small French boy became an orphan when his parents died of plague on their voyage to the Colonies. After serving as a enslaved cabin boy to the captain, he was eventually rescued by James and Moses. Since then he has worked in the print shop to help pay for his room and board at Dr. Franklin's home, and also has to learn how to read, write, and speak both French and English. He learned how to speak both languages, but he has a big dislike of learning to read and write and does everything possible to get out of his lessons.