La'lor Ae

-Prologue-

There is a space of time just before nightfall, and directly following dusk, in which the quiet ones can speak. It is a fleeting and silent moment for most, but there is often many voices taking their chance to be heard. Their tone is so beyond our vibrations that no human ear could ever be expected to pick them up.

It is only a nanosecond of time in which the light of the sun leaves our horizon, but the world is not yet fully engulfed in darkness. The in-between, the unspeaking, the most tranquil exhale of the Mother.

Tir Na Nog meets our realm for just a twinkling moment at each equinox for a few days at a time, and sometimes the old ones use it like a door to pass into our world.

The First People called it La'lor Ae, (La lore aye) and they were the last to hear those voices from the earth.

Or were they?

At dusk on this particular day, red and gold leaves and the last of the warm nights mark the autumnal shift October always brings. The human realm was nearly silent on the Northern side of Mt. Rainier and the old ones whisper of a child. Restlessness and worried they respond to a Mother's cries with an unnatural, pregnant silence. The diurnal animals stowing away in their burrows and dens for the night uneasily and the nocturnal are not quite ready to make themselves known.

The trees listen, ever aware of their surroundings. As if every creature had all inhaled in the same moment, afraid to release their breath until the taciturn forest can awaken.

Silence.

*Image found on google*