Chapter 19

After Tao Yunfeng left, Granny Wu hurriedly led in a group of doctors, all of them famous physicians in Jianzhou City. Apart from the Imperial physicians, these people were the most respected authorities on medicine.

This group of white haired elders clustered around Su Yang, nodding and shaking their heads, taking his pulse and questioning him closely, stroking their long beards as they conversed in low voices. Su Yang looked at them with amusement, deliberately tugging on their white beards as he acted the part of a simpleton.

After the time it takes to burn an incense stick has passed, they discussed their findings and came to a conclusion. One of the old men cupped his hands in a salute to Wu Xueyan, saying: “Madame1, based on this elder’s years of experience, the injury that the young master sustained is not a serious one, and will recover after a few days. As for the sudden memory loss, with the temperament reverting to that of a child, I’m afraid this may be a side effect of the head injury. There have been similar cases recorded in the ancient texts, it is not life threatening, and some people spontaneously recover after three to five days, but there are some…..”

He trailed off, hesitating. Wu Xueyan said faintly: “It’s alright, please continue.”

The doctor bowed and said bluntly: “There are those who never recover in their lifetime. Madame, I would advise to prepare for the worst.”

Wu Xueyan went stiff upon hearing his words, her fists clenched tightly by her side, but her face remained coldly stoic: “Perhaps this is karma, all his past misdeeds have now returned as misfortune to befall on his head.”

Granny Wu hurriedly interjected: “My lady, don’t say such things, our young master is under the protection of the FuLu and Shoudeities. It is common for youngsters to commit mistakes, Buddha is merciful, he will surely be forgiven.” She turned back to the white bearded elder and said anxiously: “Physician Liang, since you say this is an illness, surely there must be a cure. You have to come up with a cure.”

Note: 福禄寿 (Fú lù shòu) – The gods of the three stars and the three qualities of Prosperity (Fu), Status (Lu), and Longevity (Shou) in Chinese religion. The term is commonly used in Chinese culture to denote the three attributes of a good life.

However, Physician Liang could only lament: “There is no cure. A human’s four limbs and internal organs are linked to the life gate. Among these, the head is the most important. Break your hands, break your legs, one can still live, but the injury of the head must be avoided at all costs. Even a miracle doctor would not dare rush forth to attempt healing, much less a sham2like myself. Madame, please seek elsewhere for an expert.”

Note: In traditional Chinese medicine, the lifegate (命门) is the root of the original Qi which enriches the viscera, without it, the functions of the organs will fail.

Wu Xueyan closed her eyes and tiredly waved her hand. Granny Wu quickly stepped forth and saw the doctors out.

After they left, Su Yang tugged on Wu Xueyan’s hand and asked curiously: “Who were those people? Why are they leaving? What is a sham? Why did they call you Madame? Is your name Madame?”

His questions spilled forth as he gleefully played at being a real life version of 100,000 Whys!

Note: 十万个为什么 (Shí wàn gè wèishéme) – “100,000 Whys” is a popular book series which contains questions and answers covering natural and social sciences, and is highly regarded as a child-friendly encyclopedia in China.