Chapter 20

It was currently evening, the glory of the sunset splashed the sky with orange streaks, painting the clouds with a faint layer of gold, brilliant and soul stirring, evoking the dreamlike quality of a poem.

The scenery was undeniably beautiful, but Su Yang’s mind was only occupied with one thought—- escape!!

It has nothing to do with old hatred or new grudges, this fight or flight response was merely the natural response when faced with extreme danger.

The man in front of him was dressed in the black and stately robes that marked him as a Prince. His face was cold and haughty, and his glance raked him from head to foot with withering disdain. His dark eyes held no warmth, his wintry gaze was oppressive, as was the firm grip which threatened to crush the bones in Su Yang’s wrist.

With this delicate body of his, how could he withstand such manhandling? Su Yang’s face turned pale as he struggled and shouted: “You let me go now! Ow!”

He also sent a pitiful, entreating look at Wu Xueyan. He may not be good at much, but acting cute and loveable was a basic skill of his. His black eyes shone bright and round with a film of tears and his lower lip quivered, like a little puppy denied food, full of grievance and pain.

Wu Xueyan’s maternal instinct was roused, she immediately stepped forward to rescue Su Yang, but was held back by Tao Yunfeng. The two stood deadlocked.

Realizing that no help would be found in Wu Xueyan, he turned his pitiful gaze onto Jing Cheng.

“Why are you bullying me, I don’t know you,” he cried, voice hitching. He was genuinely in pain and couldn’t stop the tears from flowing. “You bad man, let me go! Ah Gui, Ah Gui, save me!”

From where he was hiding in a corner, Ah Gui shivered even harder, willing himself to shrink out of sight for fear of drawing the Fifth prince’s wrath.

Oh fine, so this is the extent of your loyalty!

Su Yang’s anger reached its peak, he couldn’t think of any other way to release himself, and so he opened his mouth to bite. As a result, the back Jing Cheng’s hand was wet and shiny, but there wasn’t even a tooth mark to show for his efforts.

Su Yang: “…….”

He stared at Jing Cheng, and Jing Cheng stared back at him. Su Yang could have sworn he glimpsed a trace of mockery in the other’s dark eyes.

The hell, how was he going to survive! Tao Ziyu’s neat little white teeth were purely for show, not meant to be used for biting at all! And now his teeth were aching!

Jing Cheng slowly loosened his hold on Su Yang, and turned away from him without another glance. To Tao Yunfeng, he said: “Minister Tao, the dowry will be sent in three days. The recent battle of the Northern Desert campaign means that funds are now tight, hence the celebration will be a simple one.”

Tao Yunfeng as the Ministry of Revenue was most clear on whether or not funds were tight, but since Jing Cheng said it was tight, it can only be tight.

He hurriedly pulled on an ingratiating smile: “Naturally, everything will be arranged according to your wishes, but for the Your Highness to consider matters of the military as well, is really worthy of admiration. Yu-er is by no means outstanding, for him to be able to marry the Prince, it is our blessing and good fortune.”