Chapter 21

There was no consultation for an auspicious date on the Yellow Path1, no calculation of the Eight characters of birth2, not even the opinions of the involved parties were sought. Based solely on the nonchalant instructions of His Highness the Prince, Su Yang went from being an eligible young son from a noble family, to a newlywed bride of a man.

Such are the evils of a feudal society, there are no human rights!

Dressed in a sweeping red, luxurious dress, a pair of blue phoenix hairpins on his head, Su Yang’s eyes were round with disbelief and anger as he confronted a group of serving maids.

You’ve got to be joking, it’s just a marriage ceremony, there’s no need to powder his face and paint his lips and cheeks with rouge! And piling his head with a small fortune in gold and silver jewels that threatened to tip over if he takes a step too fast, how’s this any different from dressing up as a woman!

Fortunately, the Mother was reasonable enough. She stepped in and waved at the maids to withdraw. “Keep those. Our Yu-er is a natural beauty, he doesn’t need the powder or the rouge. But the phoenix crown3 must be worn.”

Su Yang eyed the headdress that had to weigh five to six catties at least, and shook his head vehemently. Absolutely not!

Note: 斤 (Jīn) – Catty. 1 catty is equivalent to 604.8 grams. So the crown was approximately 3-3.5 kilograms.

Tao Yunfeng, who was standing at the side, interjected: “It’s fine if he’s not willing. Although homosexuality has existed since ancient times, marriage between two men is unheard of. Since our family is the first to do so, let’s just go along with Yu-er’s preferences, there’s no need to stick to the usual etiquettes. ”

This useless Father of his has finally said something worthwhile. Wu Xueyan put aside the phoenix crown, and pulled Su Yang back to the mirror. With a white jade comb, she slowly combed his long, silky hair.

She carefully asked: “Do you still remember what Mother told you last night?”

“I remember.” Su Yang counted on his fingers: “Number one, don’t be noisy. Number two, don’t run around. Number three, don’t talk to strangers. Number four… once in the Prince’s palace, I must listen to Husband!”

Note: 夫君 (Fūjūn) – Husband. What Su Yang will be calling Jing Cheng. 

Wu Xueyan brushed her fingers against his cheeks in relief, then turned around to quickly wipe at her eyes.

She turned back with a smile and praised: “Yu-er is very good. This red bag here is for you, it contains your favorite snacks. Take it out when you’re hungry, but don’t let others see it, if it gets snatched away, you’ll go hungry.”

Su Yang nodded, and hid the bag at his waist. He couldn’t replace Tao Ziyu in offering filial piety, but he will do his best to preserve the safety of this family and the general’s family.

At this time, Ah Gui pushed open the door and entered, “My lord, my lady, young master, the Prince’s wedding procession4 has arrived, but…. the Fifth prince…”

Tao Yunfeng furrowed his brows: “Well, spit it out.”

Ah Gui fell to his knees and prostrated himself on the floor, his voice squeaky: “Answering the master, the Fifth prince did not come with the escort party. The one who came is… Deputy General Cao.”