1: A Beautiful Stranger

I hitch my long red dress as I step up to the podium. I hear the pit pat of night rain fall on the theater's long windows. Its raining tonight. I walk towards the music stand keeping my hands stable on my silver flute even though they are sweaty, the small orchestra waits for me patiently violins up in their shoulders.

Everyone's waiting.

Everyone's looking.

I lift my flute and my lips press gently at the end and slowly ever so slowly begin.

Pavane Op. 50 from Gabriel Faure, my favorite song, I close my eyes as the tune slowly dances around me and then its just me, me and the music dancing. Colin the violinist playing the rhythm softly like the small droplets of water that are falling outside the theater.

A slow waltz.

Time passes by me and don't know how long I have been playing, time is insignificant.The violins begin and they join and separate, intertwining their perfect notes with my flute with passion that I shiver with pleasure, my heart threatening to explode from my chest. Tears prickle my closed eyes

Never had I heard something so beautiful.

When I was small I thought that if I played with enough passion I would float away and into the clouds.

I still believe that.

I part my lips from my flute and the violins fade away.

Silence

My chest rises and falls and I feel my hands tremble as I bring the cold flute down. Small beads of sweat form in my forehead.

and then the crowd roars.

People clap everywhere and when the lights flash on people begin to stand up. Cheering.

Everyone is standing.

I feel happiness erupt in my chest and smiling I do the only thing I can do. I bow my head low like my teacher would have wanted me to acknowledge them, always humble and with respect and then I walk down the podium and into the safety behind the red curtains. I hear the hustle of people talking as they walk out of the theater. I sigh as I lift my case from under the violin cases and disarm my flute. I hear the steps of the orchestra as they enter the backstage. I click my flute case shut when I suddenly feel one arm wrap around my shoulders.

"Woah! that was great Maria."

I look to the mirror and see Colin, violin in hand. He is much taller than me, enough that his chin can rest on my head, he has blonde hair that is carefully swept to the side, I guess he's well... handsome. I don't really know him much since we've only been a month or so together doing concerts around Italy.

"Thanks" I say simply.

"You're amazing" he goes on.

"I know, my music is cool" I respond

"No" he corrects. "You're amazing just like your music"

I look at the mirror again. My hair is straight and auburn and it falls down over my red blood dress. l have light green eyes like my father's, he used to say that I talked with my eyes. I never cared much of my appearance, after all it's just makeup for our soul, hiding our true selves.

I look back at Colin in the mirror and suddenly I feel awkward, heat begins to rise from my cheeks. I take the strap of my flute case and hitch it over my arm making Colin's arm slide off.

"I'll see you later then" I say trying to keep our relationship formal.

"How about tomorrow" Colin says