Chapter 1: The Gates

"I'm so sorry for your loss Grant, Barbara was truly a remarkable woman" said Samuel Leger, he's a priest at our local church we used to got to every Sunday. I grunted "yeah, she really was", holding back some tears. Now waiting until everyone leaves, and one by one they do so. All giving me their condolences, I don't fucking need their pitty, I just need my wife back. Finally everyone left, In silence now other than the cawing crows and the sound of the wind hitting the trees I walk towards Barbara's gravestone. It read;
                                                                   "Barbara Williams
                                                                           1977-2006
                                                           Loving wife, and loved by all"

            I place my hand on it and let out a sigh "I'm gonna miss you Barbara, I promise I'll see you again my love." I placed the roses I bought for her on the ground in front of the grave. She loved roses, how they're blossomed the way and how they smelt. Loved em so much she even grew a rose bush in the front of our yard. Before leaving a tear runs down my cheek.

             Heading back home from the Greenwood Cemetery I see people moving in, great just what I need... new neighbors. there's a little boy a mother and a father. I pull into the driveway at my house and get out of the car. I hear a feminine voice behind me "Excuse me sir?", I sigh and look behind me, and give eye contact met with blonde haired woman with blue eyes wearing a purple tank top and blue jeans and see a little boy hugging a woman's leg  a very small boy , also having blonde hair and blue eyes. He's also wearing a Star Wars shirt with blue shorts. "Yes?" I reply, "my name is Sarah Sholton and this is my son Daniel, my husband Robert is over at the house, we just moved in and thought we'd introduce ourselves to our neighbors!" I grunt and reply "my name is Grant, Grant Williams." With enthusiasm she continues the conversation "Hi Grant! You look great today, all suited up, did you go somewhere special today?" Automatically I felt irritated and snapped "I came back from my wife's funeral and I don't feel like being bothered right now so if you'll excuse me I'm going inside!" I enter my home and slam the door.

          Entering my house now I feel empty, the house feels empty and I'm greeted with the sound of silence. No longer greeted with the loving comfort of my Barbra.!I hang up my coat and fedora on the coat rack, and proceed down the hall which has pictures of our marriage day and photos of us that Barbra took, she took amazing pictures her perfect shoulder length curly brown hair, chocolate brown eyes and that beautiful wide smile that I was so lucky to be greeted with every time I came home from work....but now it pains me to see them. I miss her I miss her so much. I still remember like it was yesterday, I took her out on a date. Something nice for us since I'm hardly around because of work so I took the day off and took her to a fancy restaurant. It was the greatest at first seeing her smile, hearing her laugh she enthused the idea of kids more and painting a picture for the brightest future together. But then came the aneurysm it came from nowhere and just like that the life from her eyes was gone, oh my god Barbra you never deserved this. Fall to my knees before the pictures now letting out all my tears. I wish I was around more if only I knew.

            As time flies I carry a picture of Barbra in my wallet and look at it a lot as I work, I work as a CEO of an amazing technological company called "Guardian Tech Industry"where we make all sorts of technological inventions. I have my own office meaning I'm pretty glad no one can see me mourning at work. It's comforting to see her face, Remembering past conversations that she smiled during like growing old together and see our future kids grow and have kids of their own. I was so excited then.... I let let out a sigh. "Hey" said a voice from the my office door. I look over to see a woman leaning poking her head out the door her hair is sorta long and blonde and has greenish blue eyes looking at me. "What" I reply. "Hey boss Diana wanted to let you know that she needed to speak with you? Pretty sure it's more circuit boards exploding or something". Now irritated I close my wallet "yeah I'll be there, let me finish a few things first here". I can see her kinda leaving because the screeching of the door in my office but before I hear the door shut she says "I can bring her back." My heart stops. And find myself loss of words as I look at her luckily she continued since I didn't know what to say how did she know? And why would you even say such thing?" Meet me behind the building after work I'll give you more details. I know she was your world and more so how about you finally start your little family yeah?" Then the door shuts.

           Finally I snap out of that fearful trans with that on my mind all throughout the shift.... What if she's saying the truth? Can I see my Barbra again? That or i'll die behind this damned building either way i guess i'd see her either way. Quickly I open my drawer from my desk and grab my small stainless steel flask and take a swig of whiskey that's in it. Barbra would be upset seeing me like this, a drunk. Been at it for months worth of drinking to suppress that... no I need to stop thinking about it. I take another swig and put the flask away. Finally I get out of my office to go see what Diana wanted "hey Mr. Williams, so um another drone malfunctioned a couple...." as she talks I feel dazed and I can barley listen, can't be the whiskey no. I turn around to see that lady that went into my office earlier staring.
"Mr. Williams? Mr.Williams?" Quickly I look back at Diana
"uh yes yes?"
"Do you approve of Kenny's X-Ray contact lenses? I think that'd help out the medical field tremendously don't you agree?"
"Yes that sounds great he can go work on that."
"Great just sign the paper stating your approval and I'll send the good news his way and I'll just clean up the malfunctioned drones."
      I sign the approval papers and she thanks me and goes in her merry way. For time to fly I just go and check up on other employees and their progress on other inventions or programming. These people are absolutely remarkable, I hope to see them get big from all this.