a snowdrop and a smile

A plop! entered my ears as the coin from my hand disappeared into the shallow water of the fountain. I closed my eyes and made a wish.

"She's there again."

"What did you expect? It would have been more of a surprise if she isn't."

"Does she not understand that nothing will happen no matter how often she comes back?"

"Shush!" "What? It's not like-"

"One day. She will."

A few moments passed before I opened my eyes once again, and I turned my head towards the man in black beside me. "Shall we go now?" I merely gave a slow nod in response. I was turned around and we began a steady pace towards the waiting vehicle.

Judgmental stares and pitying eyes pierced through me, and suddenly I yearned for our steady pace to turn into a quick one. Out of the corner of my eye, I see their hushed whispers as we pass by.

"Poor girl." Pity.

"Life has been too hard on her." Sympathy.

"A pity that the riches ended up with someone like her." Disappointment.

I bowed my head as I chose to ignore the world around me and tried to escape the prying eyes. Time seemed to have slowed down as our trek felt a tad bit too long.

At last, a pair of black, shiny shoes and a hand appeared in my range of vision. I slowly looked up and met the smiling eyes of an aged man. He gave me an encouraging nod. I took the offered hand and he helped me climb up the vehicle.

Not too long after, the car started moving and I peered out the window only to see passing faces filled with a dozen emotions. A brunette girl caught my eye, before my eyes can linger on her too much however, our car breezed past. Shortly after, another person caught my attention, a middle-aged man this time. Then, a plump woman. Then, a toddler. Then, another, and another.

Before I knew it, the car had stopped. I was helped out of the car and led into a meadow filled with blooming spring flowers. The man in black and I strolled through the sea of colors and fragrance. My eyes flitted over to one flower to another, and only one thought resonated in my head.

They're so full of life.

Unbeknownst to me, my face was downcast.

A burst of fragrance hits my nose, and I saw nothing but white. I leaned back and realized I was seeing a single snowdrop in full bloom. I took it in bafflement and gratitude as I looked up at the man in black from whom I received it from. With smiling lips, he said, "A snowdrop for the gloomy lady."

A spark of irritation filled me. Is he mocking me?

Seeing the expression on my face, he spoke once more. "My lady, please remove that crease from your brows."

I said nothing.

Seeing as the expression on my face didn't change, he quickly explained. "A snowdrop symbolizes hope, rebirth, purity, and consolation. I give this to you in hopes of filling you with strength. Please hold on. Your wish will come true."

My face softened and I turned my eyes to the white flower laying innocently on my palms.

I thought about the people that grasped my attention a while ago. The brunette girl, the middle-aged man, the plump woman, the toddler, and all others. There was one thing that they all had in common.

They all wore a smile.

A real, and bright smile.

I can't remember the last time I had one. Especially not since that happened.

I was born deaf. I am also crippled. A result of an accident.

Everyday, I visit the fountain and make a wish, hoping for a change. Yet, every day, I'm also losing that very hope.

Contrary to what everyone thinks, I wish not for a sense of hearing nor do I wish for legs to walk on. Instead, there is only one thing I truly want. I wish for life and happiness.

As a deaf person, I grew up surrounded by people with pitying eyes. I bore it. However, the accident happened.

My legs were broken beyond repair. A loved one was taken away from me, and with them, my bright view for life left too. With all these, for what reason do I have left to smile?

A tear trickled down my cheek and landed on the soft petals of the snowdrop. A snowdrop that stands for hope, rebirth, purity, and consolation.

A snowdrop that stands for hope, rebirth, purity, and consolation.

As these words run through my head over and over again, my tears gradually flowed more and more as they turned to tears of gratefulness.

I thought I was only handicapped by my ears and legs. Who would've thought that I was blind too?

The white flower illuminated my blinded sight.

Hope.

My eyes were shielded by a translucent veil. It is time to start anew.

Rebirth.

My fingers felt the petal that glistened with my tears, glowing radiantly as the sun's rays hit it.

Purity.

I directed a small glance to the man in black. He gently smiled at me and reached out a hand to caress my cheek with care.

Consolation.

I was wrong. I do have reasons to smile. A smile for the man in black that have been by my side for years, as well as the aged man who had served me. A smile for the happiness of other people, and a smile for the beauty of the snowdrop in my hands.

Slowly, my lips upturned into a small, almost indistinguishable smile.

Who knew that such a simple gesture will be the cause of a buried smile to come to surface?

------------------------------------

So, what do you think? Good? Cheesy? Was the surprise delivered well? Did the message get across? Share your thoughts, would love to hear them <3

- Dani.