warm blood

"Don't you see? This is not me. Flesh that never ages. All nightmare no dream. Bring it to a close. Let me sleep."

Jonathan buried Mary's cut off cross into her chest.

"I will find a cure, Mary. I swear it."

"Then - at last - I can forgive you"

Jonathan hoped she'd still forgive him when she woke up again. Being a doctor he knew enough anatomy to stab her chest and just barely miss her heart. He knew it wasn't what she wanted but the thought of losing Mary again after just finding out she was back killed him more than he'd let on, and he hoped the plan he'd come up with during the fight wouldn't backfire terribly.

Jonathan theorised that if Mary could've gotten a better introduction into immortality, preferably even better than his own, she wouldn't have been as determined to die again. So if he could give her a mentor, like he eventually had gotten, maybe she would chose to stay.

At least that was what he hoped would happened as he carried Mary's lifeless body, having passed out from the exhaustion of the fight and the stabbing, through the streets of Whitechapel.

As he reached the hospital he could sense Elisabeth was still close by, but decided to drop off Mary in his room before any of the other hospital employees could notice their presence. Thankfully, Elisabeth seemed to be the only one who noticed his entrance and entered his room through the balcony soon after he'd put Mary down on his bed. As Elisabeth stepped inside she looked at Mary and then up at Jonathan with raised eyebrows. There was a clear question on her face but she seemed to have decided to wait for Jonathan to explain himself first before voicing her own questions.

"I had this though" He began "Mary expressed her desire of death to me, but I though, maybe if she could've gotten someone to help her adjust to her new existence she would decide to stay"

The 'with me' part was left unsaid but Elisabeth could feel it hanging in the air around them. She knew this would likely end badly, trying to care for and help a newborn vampire who didn't even want to live, but when she looked at the sad hopeful look on Jonathan's face she couldn't turn him down.

"Jonathan" Elisabeth sighed. "Wouldn't you be the best suited person for this? You're yourself just learning about your new life. And you are her maker" Not that she didn't want to help her friend, but there were so many risks involved.

"I see your point but unfortunately I suspect Mary won't be overjoyed when she wakes up again, knowing I didn't do what she wanted. If someone else was with her I can only guess the situation would go slightly easier." Johnathan phrased it like a suggestion but by the look of him he was almost begging. Elisabeth was mentally cursing herself for what she was about to do.

"Alright, I'll bring Mary back to my house with me and try to talk some sense into her when she wakes up, but if she still doesn't want to continue this existence I won't stop her" The look on Elizabeth's face told Jonathan she meant every word, and while the overarching fear of having Mary leave him again was still there, the possibility that she wouldn't gave him a sliver of peace.

-

The following nights Jonathan kept himself busy with hospital work, trying to focus on helping patients and keeping his mind off his sister and Elisabeth. But it seemed he didn't need to stay away anymore, as Elizabeth had sent a letter inviting him to her house in the West End. Thought she didn't give specifics on how Mary was doing he, somewhat wishfully, assumed her mentoring was working as planed. But he supposed he had to see for himself when he got there.

After finishing up his rounds Jonathan started to make his way towards the West End district, avoiding skals and vampire hunters as best he could.