Chapter One

"Is there anyone else who could take care of you?" The woman's forehead is devoured by wrinkles from stress and a bad habit of furrowing her eyebrows together. Even now as she's taking Peter's hands into her own, her face is contorted and scrunched up. "Any relatives that we can get in touch with?"

Peter couldn't form words. He shook his head.

The woman sighed and let go. Peter felt uncomfortable at her touch, and he pushed his chair back to get as far from her as possible. His eyes darted away from the wrinkled woman and he looked towards the open door.

A nurse was guiding his dear Aunt to take a seat. "Mrs. Parker, please—"

His Aunt is yelling; she's mad. No one is sure as to why. The nurse whispers something to her, but May doesn't seem to hear. The door shuts. Peter looks away.

Peter nervously wraps his hands around the coffee cup in front of him. The CPS worker is scribbling on her clipboard, but Peter could care less. He's Spider-Man. If he can avoid getting murdered by super villains on the daily, he can avoid the CPS.

"I understand you don't want to go into the Foster home, Peter," she says, tapping her pen against the table. "Your school — it has room and board, doesn't it?" It's less of a question than a statement.

Too expensive. He barely got into Horizon High as it is. His scholarship covers his admission, but no way could he ever afford to live there.

"I can talk with the school, but if we can't secure you a room... I'm sorry, but the Foster home would be your only option." She continues to talk even though Peter hasn't said anything the entire time.

"That won't be necessary."

Oh, hell no.

The woman's wrinkled face fades into pure, unadulterated shock. "Hi," the familiar voice greets, "Peter is going to come live with me."

Red dusted Peter's cheeks. "Ma'am, this strange man is trying to kidnap me," Peter speaks for the first time in a worried voice. He now grips the hands he was so adamant about avoiding.

"Don't be silly, Peter." The woman chuckles lightly.

"Yeah, Peter." The man reaches over Peter to pick the coffee mug. He takes a sip, then sticks his tongue out in disgust. "Don't be silly."

"Stranger danger!" Peter yelled.

Tony Stark in all his glory stands in the retirement home, and he is ever out of place. He wears huge sunglasses to cover his face, but he's still recognizable to Peter.

"As an old friend of May's, I'm glad to know that he won't end up in Foster care," she says, biting her lip. "However, I have to ask why Tony Stark is adopting a child."

"Actually, I don't think you do," he says, a little more snappy than he had intended.

"That's kind of my job?" She raises her eyebrow. "This is a lot more complicated—"

"I'm Tony Stark. I do what I want." With that, he starts to leave. Face flush red with anger, Peter stands up to tail him.

"You can't just—!"

Tony pulls down his sunglasses. He holds a finger over his lips. "Shh," he hushes. "We need to talk."

Tony continues to walk to the door in a brisk walk, and Peter tries to stop him. "Mr. Stark, please," he begs, grabbing on to his sleeve. He digs his feet into the ground and pulls with his spider strength. Tony lets out a disgruntled noise and halts.

"What?" He plays coy. "Something wrong?"

"..." Peter mumbled, but Tony honestly couldn't hear what he said. Tony looks left and right at the busy commotion of nurses and elders. He gets Peter out of there.