Chapter 1: New Girl on Campus

Stepping out of the taxi, Beth lets her eyes wander around Brighton Falls University for the first time, since helping Maggie loud up the truck to head home after she graduated. BFU wasn't Beth's first choice in post secondary schooling. She did two years at Georgia Heart College, but soon found the years were over and zero education had taken place. BFU, falling in the Greene's natural choice, was Beth's only other option in her sights of becoming a Choral Director. Sure, she could have chosen to study communications, or nursing, maybe even become a teacher, but something about conducting music made Beth feel right at home.

BFU is a fairly small campus, only housing over 1000 students compared to GHC that housed 45,000 and absolutly no real concern for actually educating their students. Maggie had raved about BFU for years. Always loving the close knit community, the professors, and especially the frat parties. But that's Maggie, the rebel of the Greene girls and the far out spoken one at that. Beth had always been the quiet, shy, good girl, who was Daddy's princess. She attends church with him every Sunday and does community service in their small home town of Senonia Georgia. Maggie, found that weekends were for her secret parties with her high school boyfriend, Glenn Rhee, who Beth liked because unlike Maggie, he noticed her as a woman and not a child.

Maggie had always wanted Beth to get a real boyfriend. Often saying it would make her feel older and would open her up to the real world of conversation... and sex. And no matter how many times Beth told Maggie that she didn't need that, Maggie never listens. To make Beth's matters worse, Maggie had set Beth up with Jimmy and after him Zach.

Jimmy Walters was a good match for Beth... or so she thought. Jimmy was very sweet and likeable. Hard working, decent looking and very caring. However, Jimmy was very, how can she say it politely, well dumb. He was dumber than a sack of nails when it came to Beth. One time, when they had been dating for a few weeks, he pulled his penis out and set it on her hand when she was sitting on a rock over looking the quarry behind her woods. Beth was so unimpressed by his gesture, she smacked him across the face and ran back to the house. Needless to say, Jimmy stood on the porch for two hours holding his face and asking what he did wrong.

Where Jimmy lacked brains, Zach lacked sensitivity. Though, Zach was very smart and good looking, he was a complete asshole. But he wasn't always that way, only after the fact he tricked Beth into sleeping with him. She was going to wait for marriage, but one special night two days before christimas, Zach had taken Beth out to a fancy resteraunt a few towns over and bought her the best dinner ever. Then he drove her to a lake and they sat beneath the stars and talked about wonderful things. Things got pretty spicey when he kissed her passionately for the first time. It went from that to him sliding his hand up her shirt. After that they had sex on the sand... which wasn't a good idea at all despite how romantic it might sound. But he had changed after that, after taking her virginity. He turned cold and uncaring. Beth tried everything to get Zach to understand how much she cared about him, but when he started hitting her, that's when she gave up all hope and told Maggie about it. Maggie, being Maggie, gladly kicked Zach in the family jewels next time she saw him and threatened to cut them off and pickle them for him, if he ever touched or talked to Beth again. Let's say, he moved to Alabama after that.

But this is where Beth wants to start over. BFU. Sure, it's her first year at this college, but transfering wasn't that bad. And Beth has a plan on how to avoid another terrible heart ache and how to focus on schooling. Avoid everyone except professors. If she can just steer clear of the male population and parties, then she can be happy and in two years, graduate and find a directing job somewhere closer to Atlanta.

Walking toward Caris Hall, the only housing on campus which is co-ed, Beth notices the atmosphere o BFU is very relaxed... or so she hopes. No big frat gangs hurdling pledges around. No loud offensive hippy music being played. Not even outgoing skanks to watch catching AIDs on the quad. Beth is feeling very optimistic, so much that maybe she won't avoid people after all.

The hallways of Caris are filled to the ceiling with specimen of both male and female genders. As she looks for room 308, she bumps into a unruly looking redneck guitarist. Scowling at her, she meekly clutches to the wall as he passes, at least politely trying not to bash her face in with his guitar case and amp. To her, he seemed mysterious, yet dangerous, her best bet is to just stay away from him.

308.

Pulling her key out, Beth doesn't have time to unlock the door as a tall black guy with a geeky vibe opens the door. She has to be in the wrong room. Co-ed building shouldn't mean co-ed rooms, unless you're of course dating the person.

"Hi! I'm Bob! You must be Bethany." The geeky yet outgoing guy thrusts his hand out toward Beth.

"Beth... actually. Um..."

"Oh where are my manors, please, come in." The door is the size of a small apartment- living room, kitchen, two bathrooms, four bedrooms. Looking around, it's obvious Bob and who else has been moved in since July, mostly likely from summer classes. "So this is the common area. My room is down that hollow on the left. To the right of the bathroom is Sasha's room."

Grabbing Beth's wrist, Bob gently tugs Beth toward the other hallway.

"No this is yer bathroom. This is yer room. Drawers are under the bed and there's extra linens in them... just incase you want to risk not using yer own." Smiling wide, Bob seems like he's been doing this for a while.

"Who does this room belong too?" Beth points to a blue door with a 'Do Not Disturb Sign' on it.

"That? That's Shane's room. Jock. Nice, but mostly hangs out in the Frat house down by Zwilling's Bar." Gettin closer he whispers in Beth's ear, as if even miles away, Shane could hear the slander. "He's kind of a player... so wear ear plugs at night."

"... O...kay."

"Do you have more stuff to bring up? You must. Two duffle bags isn't even enough for a semester sweetheart." Heading toward the door, Beth has no option but to follow.

"So are all the rooms matched up like this?"

"Like what?" Bob turns his head as he walks down the narrow hallway, practically taking up the whole thing without a care.

"Like, two boys and two girls... sharing a dorm." Beth doesn't know why, but she seems slightly embarrassed to be acting kinda childish toward the situation. Maggie obviously never had a problem with it. Then again, Maggie is more outgoing than Beth.

"Yeah... why? It's not like we're all rapists. Sure a few guys have their reputations to be hitting an quitting, but not all of us are that way. Mostly Dixon. He plays a high game. New girl almost every other day. Hate to say it, but I envy him." Te reach the elevator and wait for it to come up. Being on the top floor, Beth feels slightly uneasy that the elevator shakes the whole way down, not that it's old or not up to date, it's just the system.

"Oh."

"Yeah. But Dixon's also a loner, so ya know, he doesn't fucking care." The elevator arrives and they get in. The same dude with the guitar and amp is in the elevator and seems to be quietly cursing at the sight of Bob. "Sup, Daryl. Gig tonight?"

"Yeah, Zwiller's. 9:00." The redneck grumbles through gritted teeth. Beth tries not to look directly at him, but use the reflection in the elevator. Something about him, captivates her to want to know his story.

"Sweet. Oh Daryl, this is Beth. New girl on campus." Beth looks curiously at Daryl, who sighs angrily then sets down his guitar an stretches his hand out to her. She timidly takes it and shakes it.

"Nice, meet cha." Daryl grumbles and then releases Beth's hand. The elevator opens on the first floor and Daryl ushers himself and his load out before Beth could even return the pleasure.

"He sure don't know how to be friendly." Bob says as they exit.

It makes Beth wonder how a person could be so rude.