Chapter 26

One of the traditions of the people of Greater Ming, is for a newly wed bride to return to her parents’ home after a full month. There were some nobles who, in order to demonstrate their solicitousness for the family of their bride, would accompany their new wives back to her parents’ home.

Hence, when the Róng Qīnwáng announced that the Wángfēi niángniáng will be returning to his family tomorrow, it wasn’t just the Minister of Revenue’s household which was shocked. The Emperor and the Crown Prince could scarcely believe their ears, even the common masses were bowled over by the news!

Note:
Róng Qīnwáng (荣亲王) – Jing Cheng’s title
Wángfēi niángniáng (王妃娘娘) – referring to Su Yang as the Prince’s wife

Wasn’t it already established that the Róng Qīnwáng particularly detested his Wángfēi niángniáng, to the point that there still hasn’t been a ceremony to bow to Heaven and Earth till this day! Wasn’t it said that the Young master of the Tao family was placed under house arrest on the very day of his wedding, and was being cruelly abused by the Róng Qīnwáng! And wasn’t it known by all that the Róng Qīnwáng and the Tao family couldn’t see eye to eye, and refused all dealings with each other!

In the end, they could only conclude that the rumours spread by the gossip-mongers were absolute hogwash. Although the stories sounded very reasonable and logical when they first heard it, but based on what was happening right now, there were definitely some inconsistencies somewhere!

Faced with Granny Wu and Deputy General Cao, who were both wearing expressions of equal disbelief, Su Yang opted for insouciance. He focused on nibbling his snacks, quietly enduring their stares in silence!

After climbing into the horse-drawn carriage, Granny Wu looked at his sunken cheeks in distress.

“Ai my little Master, please say something, the Róng Qīnwáng…… I mean, the Wángyé, what did he do to you? Why have you lost so much weight in such a short period of time?”

T/N : Just a quick clarification, Granny Wu switched from Róng Qīnwáng to Wángyé because the ‘stupid’ Tao Ziyu supposedly only knows Jing Cheng as Fifth Wángyé. If you recall, he doesn’t even know who ‘Young master Tao’ is. 

Lost so much weight? Thinking it over, Su Yang recalled that his recent appetite has been terrible, and it does seem that he was now thinner than before, but he was still within the limits of a normal weight range. However, the baby fat has melted from his face, making his bright eyes stand out even more.

Deputy General Cao was standing outside the carriage. His sharp ears caught Granny Wu’s words and he moved a little closer, eager to eavesdrop on this rare piece of insider gossip.

Su Yang leaned back against the thick cushions, taking small bites from a flaky piece of pear-blossom tart. He mumbled, “Fūjūn treats me very well.”

Note: Fūjūn (夫君) – Husband

His tone was so sincere that Granny Wu’s eyes almost fell out of her head. As for the eavesdropping Deputy General Cao, he looked as if he had seen a ghost.

Granny Wu knows that he has the mind of a child, and a child may not even understand that he has been bullied. She began to question him more closely, “Oh, how about you tell me how the Wángyé treats you well, then.”