the very beginning

I entered this world peacefully. eyes closed, almost smiling. My parents said it was remarkable. I was born with bright red hair, the only one in my family ever to have red hair. of course I have no memory of my birth. I don't know anyone who does. 

I am the middle child. I have never really been special and I have never really fitted in with my family. I have an older brother and a younger sister. My older brother, River, has deep brown eyes, light brown hair and freckles. He looks like mum. My little sister, Rosy, has wide blue eyes and light brown hair. she looks like dad. And then there is me. average height, shoulder length red hair, a few random freckles, literally almost no eyebrows (common red head problem) unless I fill them in, and chalk white skin.

Any way, lets get on with it. I am going to retell the story of my birth because it was very important. I was born in the middle of winter (where I live) at 11:30 am on the 15th of July. Mum had been in labour for seven hours. The hospital room was small. It was a squeeze to fit both my parents, the doctor and nurses and my best friend. He had to sit in the corner to watch. I came out peacefully. I didn't even cry apparently. 

 They decided to stick with the "R" theme, naming me Rainie. Up until now I grew up normally. Me and my friend were and are inseparable. Now I am fourteen and my friend is very old, although he doesn't look it. The age gap doesn't bother me though. 

So up until now you may think I live an almost normal life apart from the age gap between me and my friend but there are two important things that I have left out. Number 1) my best friend is totally invisible to everyone except me. Number 2) His name is death.