Crime Short Story

Above the Casket and the Coast

There was already a crowd when I showed up with four other police cars. Some were more urgent than others to see what the excitement was about. It was 11:25 P.M A late hour in the night. It is a surprise that all these people were lined up behind yellow tape just to see what the big deal was about. It was one of the few first cases I've had so far, and I was hoping it would not look as bad as everyone had made it sound. Around my neck was a Canon camera, given to me to snap photos in case I spotted anything unusual. I was nervous and my hands were shaking as I held the clipboard and notebook in my hands before I got out of the car. I stepped out, my shoes on the pavement, and the sound of closing car doors sounded along with mine mixed with the sound of people conversing about the manor we showed up to. The building was a large, white marble and stone manor with columns and pillars on the outside with dead flowers decorated on the porch railings as if they had been there for awhile.

I turned and gave a look at my co-investigator in the driver's seat.

Carl Hemmings. He was in his 40's, medium length hair with some grey tufts of hair and a look in his eyes of superiority and authority over me every time I got a glance. He was a dark toned man who had about 5 inches over me in height. He knew more than I did about cases like this, since he's been in the field for about 25 years or more.

"Chad Larson, Private Investigator from the N.Y.P.D. Badge 3023. " I said with a stern voice, showing my badge to the state police officer in front of the taped yard..

My partner walked past them with ease. Seems like these guys already know him, after all, he has been on a lot of cases. He seems annoyed with me, but also focused on the building ahead of us.

A police officer let us by and we walked into the complex, stepping through the wooden framework of the door. When I stepped through, a blast of smells and noises filled my senses. The house smelled of a metallic copper scent mixed with rot.

"This is one of the worst cases I have been on. Not the worse worse, but damn close." My partner said, ushering into the main lobby. There were three bodies on the floor. Two males in black suits and one female, looking to be a maid and two butlers.

This was sure to be a nightmare of an investigation.

The whole complex was filled with bodies littered here and there for god knows what reason. It doesn't make sense. What kind of sane minded person would massacre this entire building? What was their motive? I don't understand criminals sometimes... I said to myself, writing down information and notes while walking through and observing everything around me. Upstairs, downstairs, lobby, and basement. Evidence identification cards were scattered everywhere.

"This case will last a long while unless we can find the murderer as soon as possible, There were some survivors... Two maids who were doing laundry at the time hid in some work closets in the basement. A servant who was with the owner of the mansion ran off as soon as he heard the ruckus. Last witness was the mansion owner himself. When questioned by authorities who were here a few minutes before we said that no one saw the suspect. No leads on any of their alibi's yet. That's why we're here. To figure out the whole story. You took notes huh? What ya got newbie?" Carl said, facing me and looking at his own notebook.

"The Coroner met with me in the downstairs lobby and spoke with me, but there wasn't much he could truly tell me until all the bodies are taken to the morgue. Basing it on just looks, the murder weapons where both a blade of some sort and gun." I explained, "I found no traces. Other detectives already scoped the area for fingerprints and evidence. All evidence found was circumstantial. I thought I saw something before we walked in though. Dirt that was recently unearthed from the ground. Might have a weapon buried there."