Redness

Chapter One

Ava's Point of View

   As my friend's car departed, I immediately yanked on my hoodie sleeves to shield myself from the relentless March rain. I hurried up the stairs to my modest two-story home, but a sudden wind gust almost knocked me down. Upon my approach, it became evident that the front door was left wide open, and the lights were switched off. I proceeded with extreme caution, forcefully calling out for my parents, even though my voice quivered from fear and the bitter cold. I urgently scoured the area for a flashlight amidst the raging storm, with the wind howling and rain relentlessly pounding against the window. With bated breath, I remained silent, fearful that an intruder may have entered the premises.

I discovered our three flashlights in the cabinet after searching for them. They had been in the same spot for years, even before Max's arrival. I grabbed one and turned it on, illuminating the quiet living room. The absence of Max's usual noise made me uneasy. I cautiously approached my parents' bedroom and knocked softly, calling out to them. Since they didn't respond, I carefully opened the door. However, as soon as I entered the room, I screamed. Everything, including the walls and sheets, was covered in a red hue.

My eyes fill with tears as I cover my mouth. Why them? The bodies belong to none other than Katie and Cole Kings. Max won't even remember them; he's only four. Oh my goodness, where could Max be? Despite the weight of my parents' lifeless bodies on my mind, I quickly make my way down the hallway. Max's door is closed, with his name in bold blue letters. I press my ear against the door and listen intently, but there is no sound. With anticipation, I gently open the door and discover Max is missing from his bed.

I step towards the window and feel the rough breeze blowing in. Curious, I gaze at the woods behind my small yard and then at the moon. Suddenly, I grab my cell phone and dial 911. A soft female voice answers, "Hello, this is the police. What is your emergency?" Tears stream down my face as I speak softly. "Um, I need help; my parents are dead, my brother is missing, and his window and the front door are open. " Descending the stairs, I anxiously await a response. "Miss, please refrain from touching anything and try to remain quiet. A group is on their way," the voice on the other end instructs. I nod in understanding, mindful that I am still on the call. The line suddenly dies, and I realize my phone battery has died.

I found myself sitting on the floor, feeling bewildered and confused. I couldn't make sense of what had just happened. Could I have prevented it? My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps and bright Flashing lights. I quickly got up and cautiously made my way towards the door, hoping it was the police and not someone who meant me harm. As I tiptoed towards the living room, I saw Ryder's father, who happened to be a cop. Ryder is my boyfriend, and we make an unlikely pair - he's known as the bad boy of the school, while I am the shy nerd. Ryder's father, John was tall and fit, with short pepper hair and increasingly graying temples. He was in uniform, and I approached him, my bright blue eyes meeting his brown ones. "John, I don't know what to do anymore," I pleaded, hugging him tightly as tears and hiccups overtook me. John consoled me with calming words as the other cops worked at taking pictures and getting my mother and father in body bags and out of my home.

John instructed me to wait outside in the pouring rain. My face was soaked with tears, and I wished Ryder was there to comfort me and assure me that everything would be alright. As I gazed up at the sky, I noticed the dark and gloomy clouds that covered the stars and moon. Suddenly, I heard the sound of a motorcycle, and as I looked down, I saw Ryder and his bike. I wiped away my tears, hoping not to appear weak before him. Ryder stopped his bike, removed his helmet, and rushed towards me with a worried and sad expression. "Ava!" he called out, embracing me tightly. My tears started flowing again, and I scolded myself for being weak. "It's okay, Ava. Let it out," he comforted me, kissing my head. Feeling lost, I hugged him tightly. I couldn't believe that someone could do such a thing. A loud sob escaped me as I glanced back at my childhood home.

This is the very same house where I first discovered the joys of riding a bike, feeling the wind rush through my hair, and the thrill of being able to explore my surroundings with newfound freedom. It was also where I embarked on my first journey to school, eagerly boarding the bus at the tender age of 5, filled with excitement and anticipation for the adventures that awaited me. I collapse onto the ground and wrap my arms around my knees. I grew up here, and now my parents' blood covers their room. Ryder scoops me into his arms and carries me towards the house; I cling to him tightly, my face buried in his neck. My mind races with thoughts of Max and the potential dangers he may be facing. Despite my efforts to push those thoughts aside, they continue to haunt me, threatening to overwhelm me with fear and anxiety. But at this moment, with Ryder by my side, I feel a sense of comfort and security that helps to ease my troubled mind.

Ryder tells his father, "Hey, Dad, I'm taking her home," as I try to hold back my emotions. Will I ever be able to call this place home again? Can I live in this house without having nightmares? These questions haunt me silently. "Alright, I'll have someone drive me back," John replies, and I hear keys being exchanged. Looking around, I notice police officers everywhere, some staring at us. I shake my head, hoping they will go away. I nod at John and stutter, "T-t-thank you." He responds, Smiling sadly.

I need to get used to it. Using my hair as a shield, I glance down at the ground to avoid the stares. After bidding farewell to his father, Ryder and I head to John's work car. I sit in the front seat and curl up while fastening my seatbelt. Ryder starts the car and turns the heat to warm my shivering body. The rain makes you want to play in or listen to it, but it can also make you sick and cold. As Ryder closes his eyes, his long lashes rest on his cheek, and I wait for him to speak. "I'm sorry you had to come," I whisper before gazing out the window.

"It's not your fault. You couldn't have predicted this would happen. I'm so sorry it happened to you or anyone else," Ryder reassures me as he glances at me before returning to the road. I feel my fingers fidgeting as I look down at my lap. We pull up to Ryder's cozy two-bedroom house with a big yard, and he takes the keys, opening the door as the sound of rain grows louder. I exit the car and approach the small sidewalk leading up to the red wooden door. I hear Ryder following behind me, and I see him smiling sadly. As I hug myself, my hair clinging to my face, Ryder reaches out and tucks it behind my ear. I look into his eyes and take a deep breath, overwhelmed by how close we are. Something I will never get used to. Standing on my tiptoes, I gently kiss his soft lips, and he eagerly responds.

I momentarily forget about everything else as I am lost in the moment with Ryder. He places his forehead on mine, and his breath is steady. My eyes are closed, and my lips are slightly parted. When he unlocks the door, I open my eyes, and we enter his cozy home. As we step inside, I am greeted by the enthusiastic barks of a dog. Scooter approaches me, and I crouch down to pet her head while smiling. Ryder removes his shoes and jacket while I tell the playful dog to play. After removing my hoodie and putting my hair up, Ryder picks me up and carries me to his room, where he lays me beside him. Ryder embraces me tightly and snuggles his head into my neck. "It's time to sleep now," he whispers, and I nod in agreement.

I stay alert until I notice his breathing has slowed and he has fallen asleep. I devise a plan to retrieve Max and bring the culprit to justice. I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the direction my life has taken. I huddle into a ball, hesitant to sleep for fear of the inevitable nightmares. I feel myself dozing off as my eyes grow heavy, and I yawn. Scooter jumps onto the bed and snuggles up next to me, eventually dozing off. I let my thoughts dissipate and drift off to sleep, my body feeling weighty and exhausted.