01. i hope you die

drew kentwell[fc- willa holland]

drew kentwell
[fc- willa holland]

it was silent in district 2's reaping area as the frilly woman from the capitol circled her perfectly polished fingers over the giant bowl filled with the all the names of the young girls, ages 12 to 18.

the hunger games are a big deal in panem. it takes place once a year. one boy and one girl chosen from each of the twelve districts.

each district in panem is different. the lower numbers, such as one, two, and three, are more prepared. we train for the games since we are old enough to walk. two produces the most victors. we are the masonry district, after all.

it's almost pointless when you don't get picked for the games. every teenager in the district wants in. they almost burn the city down, rioting, when they aren't picked or don't volunteer fast enough.

my sister and i are both eligible for the games. it's constant bickering, competing, and fighting between the two of us ever since she became of age. this is my last year, she's got plenty of time left. however, everybody wants clove in the games. she's a beast when throwing knives. she never misses. i'm not as skilled with knives as she is, but i'm just as good. i'm agile, a skilled swordsman, i can shoot a bow pretty well. not to mention i'm much bigger and stronger than my sister. but that doesn't seem to matter.

the woman from the capitol delicately picked up a piece of paper out of the bowl, and gently unwrapped it before announcing to all of district two, and the rest of panem that were watching on telelvision, who the female tribute would be.

"clove kentwell," the woman smiled enthusiastically.

no. there's no way. not clove.

of course clove had been reaped. my fifteen year old sister out to steal my glory once again.

not today clove. my sister made her way up to the stage. i eagerly awaited the moment when they asked for volunteers. in district two, if you volunteer before they ask, they don't let you in the games.

"do we have any volunteers?" the woman asked with a perky smile on her face. my sister glared into the crowd. sending a message that if anyone did volunteer, they'd get a dagger straight through the chest.

but i was willing to test that.

"i volunteer!" i yelled out before anybody else could get the words out. peacekeepers immediately circled me and escorted me into the aisle, making sure my peers didn't beat me up for volunteering before they could. which has happened many times.

"no!" clove screamed as she jumped from the stage and ran towards me at full speed. i saw her hand reach into the jacket picked and pull out a small dagger. the knife slipped through her fingers right towards me. the knife struck a peace keeper right in the arm, it would've hit right in my chest if he hadn't been there.

the rest of the group of peacekeepers ran at my sister, grabbing her by the wrists and taking her away. her shrill screams still filling the arena.

"i hope you die in the games!! i hope they kill you! i hope you're the first gone! i hope they kill you!!" she yelled, her screams becoming quieter as they dragged her away.

her voice rang in my head. i hope you die. all because i volunteered for her, and saved her from a possibly very gruesome death.

i made sure no emotion showed through my face, my eyes masked with a cold stare as i walked up the steps to the stage.

"congratulations! and what's your name," the woman from the capitol smiled at me. her platinum silver hair tied into a tight, extravagant bun at the top of her head. a few pieces coming down to frame her face.

"drew kentwell," i smirked.

"was that girl your sister?" she gave me a curious smile, a look of pity in her eyes. i only nodded in response before she turned back to the audience. "and now for the boys!"

her fingers once again circled around the bowl, before gently picking one piece of paper.

"maxton ackles!" she cooed, enthusiastically. "any volunteers-"

as soon as the word came out of her mouth, a familiar voice shouted out, "i volunteer!"

the blonde, muscular boy made his way from the 18 year old boys and up to the stage, surrounded by peacekeepers. cato.

i had known cato since i could remember. our training facility assigns partners as soon as you start. you and that person are together from then on out. you push each other to their limits, help each other grow stronger and more skilled. never to have another partner, except in the case of illness or death.

i had known cato was planning on entering the games. it's all he had talked about since i met him. he was going in to win.

there's no one i'd rather go into the game with. he knows me better than anyone, and i, him. we spent countless hours after scheduled times, continuing to train. or just running around the district late at night.

"and what's your name?" i thought i saw the woman throw cato a wink.

"hadley. cato hadley," cato flexed slightly as he looked out to the crowd.

"these are your district 2 tributes!" the woman cheered, followed by a round of applause from the crowd.

not long after, cato and i were both escorted to separate trailers. where we were allowed to say goodbye to our friends and family.

my parents were the first to come to bid me good luck.

"well, drewboo," my father staggered around, almost falling with every step. it was obvious he had been drinking. "hope you do your best- blah, blah." i could smell the liquor radiating off of him.

my mother grabbed my wrists, tightly. "how dare you treat my little clover like that!" she shrieked. "you little bitch, it was her time!"

i jerked my wrists out from my mother's grasp and stared straight into her eyes. my face expressionless. "you're wrong. this is my time. peacekeeper!" i shouted to get the attention of the guards stationed outside of my trailer.

one of the men dressed in white opened the door.

"get these people out of my trailer. i don't have any idea who they are," i spit in my mother's face. she looked at me, extremely offended as the men dragged her and my father out of my sight.

"i hope cato kills you!" my mother shrieked. my father didn't say a word. i'm not sure he knew where he was, or who he was.

only a couple more people showed up to wish me good luck and say goodbye. nothing eventful happened. clove made no appearance.

I hope you die. i hope cato kills you.

I glanced at a mirror hanging on the wall and I looked myself dead in the eye, I'm coming out alive.

___

hii, i don't know if people still read hunger games fan fics or not but this one never got finished and it was written HORRIBLY. i'm currently trying to fix it before i update it. (it's coming soon. not sure when, but soon)

hope you guys enjoy :)