Chapter 1

"Come on Maliya, it's time to get up"

"Okay mommy" Maliya got up from under her covers and sat at the edge of her bed. Lanie smiled and lifted her 7 year old up under her arms and walked into the bathroom.

"Mommy I don't want to go to school"

"Well you have to go to school so you can be smart and intelligent and go to a good college" Lanie started her bath water and sat at the edge of the tub.

"Do you have to work today?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm just going in to finish up a few loose ends they hadn't called and told me about a new case yet"

"Will you come pick me up"

"Yes I will"

"On time?" Lanie sighed.

"Yes Maliya" Lanie stopped the water and placed her daughter inside the tub, she helped wash her hair and her back. Lanie worked hard to keep her daughter a secret, after the doppelganger case, the minute she had her baby she didn't want anyone to find out. She wanted to keep her away from all harm, so the only people who knew were her parents before her father did her mother now resides in Louisiana. Lanie was keeping a lot from everyone, but everyone else also had their own lives. She'd been quiet for some time now, because no one asked Lanie how was she doing everyone moved on in life and she was still in New York and was a simple coroner with no promotion. Javier had gotten married to a beautiful Hispanic woman named Maria, and she was currently pregnant. Ryan just had his second baby and he and Javier both made Sergeant. After Kate and Castles spontaneous marriage, they got pregnant with twin boys and Alexis got married. She loved her friends but at times she seemed like they could be real inconsiderate sometimes. She wasn't tied into none of them Kate and Castle are the godparents of Jenny's daughter and Javier was making Jenny and Ryan the godparents of his and Maria son. Javier and Kate's friend Madison are the godparents of their boys. She like she was on the outside, she found out that they would go on a date night every Sunday at the Old Haunt, but didn't ask Lanie cause they figured she was too busy. They started leaving her out of a lot of things and it was really bothering her.

Lanie took Maliya out the tub and dried her off, she lotioned up her body and got her dressed into a black and white jumper and black sandals,  she blow dried her hair and put it up into a ponytail.

"Mommy can you straighten my hair?"

"You know how long it takes me to straighten your hair"

"But-"

"Not today Maliya, how about this weekend?" She smiled.

"Okay"

"Good, now let's get you to school and me to work" Lanie and Maliya left their house and she dropped her off at school before heading to the morgue, she changed out of her regular pants suit into scrubs to finish up sewing up her body, the case was solved, but the body had to be sent to the funeral home later that day.

About an hour and a half into her job she'd gotten a call and figured it was a new case, it was so she headed down to the location that was given to her and ended up at the same school Maliya went to, so this was a real fresh murder. Lanie rushed in to see what had happened, she hoped Maliya was okay. When she walked in with her things she saw a tarp cover three people and some kids were injured, she uncovered the face under each tarp and she was relieved to find out Maliya wasn't under either one,  they were all administrators. Javier and Ryan were already on the scene, but Kate and Castle had just showed up and sue hadn't checked none of the bodies yet, but it seemed like a normal school shooting. She didn't know who all had gotten injured, but she knew that the paramedics were here to check.

"Hey Lanie"

"Hey"

"So, what do we have?" Kate asked

"Um, I hadn't really looked but so far it seems like single GSW's to the chest"

"Do we have time of death?"

"I'd say between 7 and now"

"Okay and-"

"Excuse me, Ms Parish" An administrator asked.

"Yes"

"Your the mother of Maliya Parish?"

"Yes" She could her the confusion in Javier, Ryan, Kate and Castles voice as they chorused the word mother.

"She's being rushed to the hospital, to my understanding she was... Was shot in the stomach" Lanie's eyes widened in shock, not her baby girl, it can't be.

"I'm so sorry"

"Where was she found all of the injured students are up front"

"She's was lying unconscious in the restroom"

"Oh my god"

"Hey Lanie, if you need to go check on her we can have Pearlmutter take the case"

"No, I'll work the case just give me a second to go see her. What hospital is she going to?"

"St Vincent rescue hospital, and again I'm so sorry Ms Parish" Lanie nodded as a tear fell from her eye. Lanie walked off and got in her car, she quickly drove off and headed to the hospital. When she arrived she asked where her daughter was and she was told that she was currently in surgery but she would be moved to a different room. She took the elevator to the surgical waiting room and waited for someone to come out and tell her something, she was so scared, she just saw her daughter her happy daughter a couple hours ago. If she lost her, Lanie wasn't sure what she would do. She waited almost an hour until a surgeon covered in blood came out.

"Are you the mother of Maliya Parish?"

"Yes" She stood immediately.

"Your daughter was shot in close to her chest and the bullet hit her in one of her kidneys, she bled out so much that she has to get a new one. She's stable at the moment while her kidney has been patched up it's slowly failing the quicker we get her a replacement, the better the healing process" Lanie let a breath go that she didn't even realize she was holding.

"Can I see her?"

"Yes ma'am, they just had her transferred to a different room, it's right this way" They walked down a long hall and turned into her room. She was sitting up with an IV in her arm and a breathing tube in her nose.

"Mommy"

"Yes baby" Lanie rushed to her side and pressed a kiss to her forehead and then kissed her everywhere she could reach.

"Baby I was so scared, how do you feel"

"Okay I guess... Mommy, my head is wet" She slurred.

"Huh?"

"My head-" She reached her free hand into her hair and it was blood.

"Hey, you didn't see this!"

"What?"

"She must've hit her head when she fell"

"She's going unconscious" Lanie said as he unhooked her from the IV and rushed her back to surgery.
************************************