The Yellow Brick Road

A house crashed in the middle of a strange new town. A young girl stretched and yawned as she rose from her deep sleep. She looked out her bedroom window to find she didn't recognize her surroundings. Confused, she walked to the front door and carefully opened it, peeking outside, cautiously scanning her surroundings. Once she had scanned the perimeter, she walked out the door and gently glided down the stairs of her porch.

After walking around the small town for some time, some of the town's people began to notice she wasn't a native and sent for Glinda the Good Witch. When she arrived, the lost girl was still wandering around the small city, moving from house to house, marveling at their adorable size, wondering how any person could possibly fit in them.

"Are you lost, my child?" Glinda asked, accidentally startling the curious wanderer.

"Yes, a bit." She replied with a surprised shake in her voice. "I don't know where I am or how I got here and how I'm supposed to get back home."

"Oh," said Glinda apologetically, realizing she had caught the poor girl off guard, "I didn't mean to startle you, my name's Glinda the Good Witch and I take care of the munchkins who live here."

"Oh, it's ok." She replied with a smile, "My names Dorothy. I've never heard of a good witch before."

Glinda laughed, "Of course there are good witches! How else is the world to keep the evil at bay?"

"Oh, I'm sorry." she replied bashfully, "Well," she said, "Since you're a good witch does that mean you can tell me where I am and help me get home?"

"Of course I can," she said in a soothing voice, "First of all, you're in a town called Munchkin Land. The munchkins say you crash landed your house into the middle of town, but I can't tell you how to get home unless I know where home is."

"Kansas." She blurted out as if she thought that the faster she could say it, the faster she could get home.

"Oh, my child." Glinda said in a worried voice, "I've never heard of that place before and I know every city in Oz, for miles and miles."

At this Dorothy began to cry, afraid she would never find her way back home.

"Don't cry, my dear." Glinda said, with a worried expression on her face, "I'll tell you what. Do you see this brick road?" she asked.

Dorothy nodded.

"Well, if you follow it all the way to the end you'll find yourself in Emerald City."

"What's in Emerald City?" she asked, wiping the tears away from her eyes.

"That's where the great Wizard of Oz lives. He is the smartest and most talented wizard in all of the land of Oz. If anyone can get you back home it's him."

"Well, how do I get there?" she asked desperately.

"Follow the yellow brick road." The good witch replied as a beautiful rainbow bubble materialized around her and carried her away.

So, Dorothy set off, determined to reach the Emerald city and find her way back home.

Shortly after reaching the end of Munchkin Land, she came across a corn field with a strange looking scarecrow covered in crows.

"What are you looking at?" the scarecrow asked angrily.

"Oh my!" she exclaimed, stumbling backwards slightly.

"Oh! Would you look at that? I can scare a little girl but I can't scare a couple of crows!" he criticized, "Worthless!" he jumped off of his post and sat on the fence that encircled the corn field and sulked, "I wish I had a brain. Then just maybe I'd know how to scare these stupid crows away effectively."