Prologue

Castiel Novak looked at the ship that would take him to his new destiny - the Titanic. The unsinkable. He shook his head. He shouldn't even be here; it was all his dad's fault. God had sentenced him to a century on Earth for daring to rebel against Heaven. At least it wasn't just him, and at least he wasn't sent to Purgatory or worse, thrown into the pit with Lucifer. The two banished were him and his tiny brother, Gabriel. Their beautiful velvety wings had been painfully extracted, as well as any supernatural strength they might have had over the last billion years or so. "You'll get them back after your 100 years," God had promised, and then threw them unto the ground as steaks of light. They had made such majestic shooting stars.
Fifty years had passed since then, and it was time for him and Gabriel to go to the new land. God had told them- 50 years in Europe, and 50 in North America. It was up to them where they went, they could have gone to France, Italy, Poland, Germany. For their next half century they could have gone to Canada or Newfoundland. They had chosen England, and the United States of America. Even though a full century was no more than a bat of an eye to an angel, it was the loss of their wings and grace that infuriated Castiel. Silently, he cursed his father, making the sky rumble. Part of his punishment was that he could find no true happiness or true love until his century had passed. That was okay, since Castiel was very careful about who he fell in love with. Sure, he had had affairs with some female angels who stayed young forever, like him, and the odd human man or woman. He even had a nephilim child named Daniel from a human woman named Mary Catherine. Daniel was still alive, possessing long life, but dear Mary had long since passed away. Castiel had only seen her once in heaven. He still remembered her, and honored her name, but he also kind of let her go. She was a dead human, and he was an angel of the lord (not currently, but still). Another big factor was that Castiel had never loved her with his full heart. No, Castiel was after another soul, a special one made from one of his favorite stars, a certain bluish green sun. Castiel didn't know who the human with that soul looked like, or even what his or her name was. All he knew was pure green eyes, like a crisp apple, and blonde-brown hair. He or she would be in their late twenties, and Castiel had a sneaking suspicion that he might meet his human soon. Maybe the human lived in America or was a passenger on this ship. Castiel yearned with all his existence to find him or her, and although he knew he couldn't possibly experience love with the human until the human died and went to Heaven, he could at least enjoy seeing those green eyes full of life.
"Come on, let's board," Gabriel poked Castiel out of his thoughts. Ah yes, the ship. The beautifully scented and enamored ticket was in his beige trench coat, awaiting the stamp of approval. The line got shorter. Cas and Gabriel finally stepped up to the ticket man, who merely glanced at the ticket and their faces before pressing a stamp of golden wax on it. The way the gold shimmered made it seem apple green. Like the human's eyes, Castiel thought dreamily. Those eyes, those pretty, pale eyes were to die for. Castiel couldn't stop thinking about them as he boarded the Titanic. The polished hallways shifted position as the ship rocked slowly from side to side. Gabriel, sure footed as he was, strode purposefully on his short legs to find their private suite. Castiel followed, for the first time on a ship. The rocking was making him sea sick, and they weren't even out in the deep blue. At least this ship wouldn't sink, being 'the unsinkable,' a very pretty and sturdy ship. Even if it did, Castiel wouldn't die, but the feeling would no doubt be terribly unpleasant. Not to mention the loss of his favorite trench coats.
Gabriel suddenly stopped in front of a set of mahogany double doors, fishing out a key. The door opened, and they were in the room. Castiel hurried to sit, immediately feeling a lot better. Well enough to set out his rows of paintings, statues, and trench coats. Everything would be okay. The horn blew, as if acknowledging the fact that everything was okay. Castiel took a big breath. As Gabriel would say, no backsies.