Mistake

Chase kept rambling on and on but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. I should have been happy. I finally got what I'd been trying so hard to get but something was missing. I thought about what Jesse had said to me minutes before Chase picked me up. He would be leaving in a week. I pulled myself out of my thoughts and interrupted Chase's one-sided conversation.
          "I'm sorry but I have to go." I got up and left before he could get a word in. My hands were shaking as I fumbled with my car key. I didn't know what I was doing other than going to Jesse's. My thoughts raced through my head as I drove and before I knew it I was standing at his door. Before I could knock he opened it.
          "Chase told me you ditched him." He said, flatly. "After all that effort I thought you'd be happy." My voice caught in my throat and I found myself unable to think so I did the next best thing I could think of. I kissed him. His lips fit perfectly against mine and left mine tingling with pleasure. I caught him by surprise but soon he was kissing me back. Reluctantly, I pulled away to speak.
          "I've figured out it's not Chase that makes me happy. It's you." My voice was still shaky from the nerves. "The idea of you leaving and me never seeing you again hurts me more than Chase ever could." I was holding back tears. He pulled me close to him and stroked my hair gently.
          "Come with me then." He said. He was serious, and I didn't even have to think about it.
          "I will." I said. Jesse kissed me first this time. Harder than when I kissed him. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and I finally felt safe and happy. The whole time he was right in front of me.

          A week and a half later Jesse and I were in a new place. As I unpacked our dishes he snuck up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "You know I love you right?" he asked kissing my neck. I smiled happily.
          "I love you too." I said, "This stuff has to get put away though so stop distracting me." He pounted for a breif second.
          "How about we finish up tomorrow. It's getting late and I miss you." He said. He'd been working long hours at his new job and we hadn't seen much of each other. I smiled and turned to face him, giving him a gentle kiss.
          "Okay." I said, "But only because you're cute."