Prologue

"Hurry up! The show's starting!" someone called from the entrance of the large tent looming over me. It was raining so I had assumed the Carnival would be canceled and they wouldn't show up. I should have known better than to think something as simple as a thunderstorm would stop The Dark Carnival from bringing its message.

"I can't believe they're still having it," I guess I'm not the only one in disbelief. I just barely made it into the tent before the announcer started the show. I went to sit in a spot right next to the entrance because everywhere else was full. I ended up sitting next to a mom and her little girl who couldn't be more than 3 years old. I wonder if she realizes what's happening, I thought as I watched her. She seemed fascinated by the flames from Jake Jeckel, who was "hiding" behind a bunch of people across the way.

As the announcer continued to speak I took the time to examine my surroundings. The tent was somehow different than the other times I had been here. When the Dark Carnival first showed up it was nothing but a small tent in an alleyway in Detroit, Michigan.

It was a rainy night, like tonight, and I had been heading home from a long day at the Micky D's I worked at when the Ringmaster approached me. He's an interesting looking fellow. He looked like the typical bad guy from every cartoon ever; long pale face with a pointed chin, a black goatee, pointed ears, and pointed nose. He wore a black and gold suit, complete with tophat; black with a gold belt. It looked like he had face paint on but I couldn't exactly tell. The one thing that should have been really unsettling though was his eyes; pitch black eyeballs with subtle catchlights. If those weren't there I would've thought he was eyeless. Although as strange as he seemed, with his suit and his sharp toothed smile and the fact that he was outside in the pouring rain with no umbrella and didn't seem to be getting soaked through, I wasn't at all afraid. If anything, I was curious. Almost excited to meet him.

He walked up to me and silently handed me a flyer. His fingers were long with pointed nails. Is there anything about this man that isn't pointed? I thought. I took the flyer from him; it was simple, just light blue words on hot pink paper.

Welcome to the Show.

The Dark Carnival awaits you.

Then it gave an address, a date, and time. That's right now, I thought, a bit bewildered. I looked up to tell him thank you and that I'll be there but he was gone. Where the fuck did he go? I didn't even hear him leave. I looked at the paper again and at the bottom right corner was a stamp of a clown in the same blue ink as the words. It wore a giant pendant that had the letters "I.C.P." on it. The bottom part of the paper was perforated, like you could tear that part off. I pursed my lips and looked across the street to a small tent that wasn't there before, sitting in an alleyway between a drug store and a laundromat. There was light filtering out of the tent flaps, which were open. The Ringmaster was in front of the tent, watching me it seemed. When he caught my eyes he lifted a hand and made a slight tugging motion with his finger, calling me over. I looked in the direction of my apartment just down the road. I sighed. Not like anyone is waiting for me there, I thought resigned. I looked back at the tent... the Ringmaster is still calling me. I took a deep breath and walked across the street to the place that would, eventually, change my life for good.

"Tens of thousands of freaks, sideshows, and fools!" the announcer's voice boomed in my ears which brought my attention back to the inner circle. I caught sight of the Ringmaster, who was in the middle of the ring now. He was watching me.

He winked and the lights went out as the voice of Shaggy 2 Dope began to come through the walls of the tent, because there didn't appear to be any speakers anywhere. That's how it was with every show though; just a simple carnival tent, nothing out of the ordinary, but once you walk inside it's like you stepped into a different world. Like Alice climbing through the looking glass into Wonderland again. The Carnival was magical, there was no other word to describe it.

--

A little bit of explanation on how the Carnival works. When the show begins we sit in the main area where the inner circle is. The announcer welcomes everyone and ICP (Insane Clown Posse) starts the story of the "First Joker's Card" (The Carnival of Carnage). The one that represents said Joker's Card (in this case, the Wicked Clown aka the Juggla) performs their act as the story unfolds, which is told in the form of a rap or song. Once the story is finished the performer disappears and the audience is free to roam the tent, look at and talk to the freaks on display, and ride the rides set up everywhere. The other performers for the stories have their booths set up (i.e. The Great Milenko has their Fortune Teller's booth) and, for a fee, you can have said performer do a special act for you. Money is not required, though you will have to pay in other forms specified by the owner of the booth if you have none. It could be a hug, a kiss, a toe, a finger, an arm, or even your soul in rare cases.

What? Did you expect this Carnival to be safe? It's The Dark Carnival. It doesn't have that name for no reason. It is dangerous. The performers are no normal circus clowns. The freaks in the cages are real and some have been known to tear people to shreds. A lot of times you have to be quick to dodge a hatchet coming your way because a Juggalo got pissed at someone behind you. Some people have had their heads chopped off and others their intestines ripped out through their nose because they looked at someone wrong. Even the acts during the stories have killed people because someone didn't duck or dodge out of the way of a trick quick enough. Most of the time though it's fun; the rides are exciting, the tricks are worth the price you pay, and the Juggalos there are kind people for the most part. Just watch what you say and be aware of your surroundings.

Anyway, after a while everyone is called back to the inner circle for the second story and it goes on like that until every Joker's Card has had its story told. In the beginning, the show was short because only one Joker's Card had been "revealed." The Juggla had appeared to Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope (ICP) and told them the story of the Carnival of Carnage and the existance of the Dark Carnival. Every time a Joker's Card appears their story must play out for ICP and then ICP can share the Card's story in the show.

Five Cards' stories have already been told... Rumors say there's supposed to be six...

A/N: Hello fellow Juggalos and Juggalettes! Or if you are not a 'Lo or 'Lette, welcome! I did my best to write this in a way that it could be understood by all. I'm hoping that, even if you don't listen to ICP, you can enjoy the story I tell. Happy reading and MMFWCL to my Juggalo Family.