nineteen

+

+

I pulled the noodles around the bowl with the use of my chopsticks for a few moments longer, before finally giving in a raising them to my mouth. And as soon as the warm flavor of broth and noodles touched my tongue, I couldn't help but groan at just how good it was.

"Holy. Shit." I shoveled the ramen into my mouth, steaming broth dripping down the sides of the porcelain bowl and onto the counter. The food was burning hot, but I didn't give two shits. I'd never tasted anything so good in my entire life—and I could push through a little bit of pain if I was tasting something as heavenly as this.

And as soon as the noodles and extra things in the bowl were gone, like menma and boiled eggs, I smacked the chopsticks to the counter and lifted the bowl to my lips, slurping the broth in one go.

I wiped my mouth with my sleeve, bowl clinking against the counter as I set it back down.

Only just now remembering that I wasn't alone, I slowly looked to the side, meeting Naruto's wide eyed gaze.

Noodles dangled out of his mouth and hung into the steaming bowl of broth, hand hovered mid air, chopsticks clasped in between frozen fingers. To put it simply, he looked shocked. Blue eyes trailed from my empty bowl, to the broth spilled on the counter, before finally meeting my face.

"Um..." I scratched the side of my head. What had I done to make him look like a deer in the headlights? "You good?"

He blinked, nodded his head, and slurped up the noodles hanging from his mouth. "Yup."

"You don't seem like you are."

"I dunno. I've just never seen anyone eat ramen that fast before, 'ttebayo." He shrugged. "Especially not a girl. Everytime Sakura-chan comes here she makes a fuss over it messing with her diet. And when she does eat the full bowl of ramen, she complains about it having too much salt."

Naruto looked at me with wide eyes, a strangled gurgling noise leaving his throat. "Not that it's a bad thing you like ramen! O-or that you like food! And-and nothings wrong with Sakura-chan wanting to diet either! Girls can do anything they want!"

I stared at him for a moment, before turning away with a snort.

Boys. Did they think really girls were that sensitive? Sure, I could have a pretty nasty temper. But if anyone thought I was bad, they had never met Karui.

She wasn't a bad person to be around. Never been someone I'd want to be friends with (not that she wanted to be my friend either) but she was tolerable. I suppose. Her stubbornness and over the top reactions to situations you didn't need to freak out over however, was something that had always pressed my buttons.

Short to say, I would always prefer Omoi over Karui. Even if his constant paranoia over things you just did not need to worry about also got irritating.