Invisible Sky

An infinite expanse of azure stretched toward the mountainous horizon. The lush green grass was tender on my back. The sun looked like an eye -- a yellow eye -- that set its golden scrutiny upon the frigid earth. Had I a better description of how I felt right at that moment, I would tell you, or whoever is reading this at this very moment. My best friend, David, lay by my side, his hands cradling his head full of black, shiny hair. His eyes were closed, but beneath his eyelids were the bluest eyes I've ever seen. They captured light as if they were a thief and contained every shade of blue in the color spectrum. His eyes weren't tainted with another color like mine were, but they were pristine like a vast ocean, whose waves glittered with every wax and wane of its entirety. I looked at David and his light freckles that dotted the bridge of his nose. I noticed the slight rosy color that cradled his rather pallid cheeks. It was a hot day.

 "What time is it?" I asked. David's eyes slowly fluttered open at the sound of my voice. He stared at the sky momentarily, blinking a few times as his gaze was focused. His eyes shifted toward me.

"It's half-past one in the afternoon, Rowan," He responded, glaring at the watch on his left wrist. "Why?”

"Just asking," I said and thanked him. David closed his eyes again. I was hoping to start a conversation with him, but I suppose he'd rather rest. 

David was never one to talk. He preferred to stay silent most of the time and yet I was the different one. I even had different eyes to match my supposed personality. David claimed that I had better eyes than he did, but I disagreed. My left eye was blue and my right eye was brown. Heterochromia Iridum. If I could--

Something large caught my eye. 

It was something large in the sky, inching toward me at the speed of light. Well, perhaps not the speed of light, but it was coming toward David and me very, very fast.

"David, get out of the way!" I screamed. His eyes shot open and his gaze darted sharply at the object in the sky. We scrambled to our feet and started to run.

I looked back every second I could, my legs already aching with the sudden movement. In the sky was a giant rock and the giant rock appeared to be a meteor. Every time I blinked, it got closer. A scorching heat began to scald my back. My legs were moving, but I no longer felt like they were my own. David's eyes were wide, his chest and body heaved with ragged breaths and quick movements. I heard him scream over the whipping sound of a heavy object tearing through the air like it was a thin sheet. An orange glow set the field ablaze with its light.

Then, David's body thudded onto the grass. I wished to stop and help him, but my legs were not stopping in their tracks. I veered my body, but as I did so, I lost equilibrium and my vision tilted. I was sprawled on the ground, feeling the searing heat on my skin. The ground shook and I lost consciousness.

I woke up moments later, the blazing sun's rays finding themselves in my eyes. I shifted around to look for David. He wasn't next to me. I slowly got to my feet and I saw David... standing by the meteorite.

"Pretty cool, don't you think?" David chuckled. We stood several meters away from the large rock. Craters adorned its dusty grey form. It glowed red ever so slightly from some kind of radiation and the heat from the fall. Smoke arose from around the large ditch it had created in the ground 

"Should we tell someone about it? I think we should," I mumbled. Even if we decided to not tell anyone, it's not like we could keep it hidden away.  

"Yes," David said, looking up at the sky. "But how did the asteroid get here? You'd think authorities would know about this approaching meteor. Look at how big this thing is!"