Chapter 1|| "The BillBoard Mess."

When I was six years old my mom told me my dad left to follow his karate dream. I didn't understand a single thing she said. Except I wasn't good enough to make him stick around.

  Part of me doesn't believe it, but then again.. if he wanted me wouldn't he have taken me with him? The same ideas run through my head everyday. But right now I need to be clear minded.

I felt the breeze run through my hair as I stood on top of the billboard with Jess.

"You sure about this?" I asked as he picked up the red spray can

"There's no going back now." He said glancing at me then back to the billboard

I looked in front of me, the height of the billboard lets me see the whole city from here. In the distance I saw blue and red lights flashing. I looked over to Jess making eye contact.

"Jess... they're coming." 

He grabbed the sides of the ladder sliding down to the bottom.

"Jump!" He yelled as I trembled at the top

God I hate heights..

I closed my eyes allowing my body to lean off the edge. The air blew past me, thirty feet became twenty then ten and so on until I felt his arms wrap around me.

I opened my eyes, Jess smiled at me for a moment before putting me down and running.
With each step I felt my legs grow tired, slowly turning into jello. But the cops were right behind us. There is no turning back.

I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. We ran three miles.

"What are you doing." He asked throwing his hands up

"I need to.. take a second." I said through labored breaths

I placed my hand on the power line pole next to me. I heard a crinkle of paper causing me to look up.

"Cobra Kai Dojo."

Cobra Kai Dojo ? I pulled out my phone typing it in to google. Their website popped up with a photo Cobra and their tag line.

"Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy." 

I rolled my eyes... lame. That was until I scrolled down.

"In memory of John Crease."

My dad.. that's my dads name.

Jess looked up at me with regret in his eyes

"I'm so sorry Lizzy." He began to run as the sound of handcuffs clicked on my wrists

Of course...

"You are so dead Jess!"

They dragged me into the police car. Driving me down to the station. First they started with the usual.

"You did a very bad thing... blah blah."

"You could get fined go to jail blah blah."

"This isn't my first go round..."

I looked at the mans badge

"Jenny.. man your mom hated you huh?"

He smacked the table annoyed by my remarks

"Hey you can't hit a minor let alone a girl." I said smirking

"You're lucky." I rolled my eyes once more

The door opened.. that face I recognized that face. The billboard guy..

"Seriously?"

"Hi there, Elizabeth is it?"

"Daniel Lurusso.. you know the guy you painted?"

He said shaking my hand

"Now I'm not pressing charges.. however you will be working off your paint job."

I nodded

Great a probation job.

"Understood." I said

"Can I go now?"

"I'd like to work out a deal with you." He said as I turned back to face him

"I'd like you, to work at my dojo.. you work to pay off fixing the bill board."

"And if you do, maybe I'll hire you."

"What so you can get some reseda lowlife on your rich kid pay roll. I'll pass I don't take charity."

"It's not charity. It's an opportunity." He said looking in my eyes

"I used to be a Reseda kid. Trust me I know what it's like to live with nothing."

"I want to make it easier for you.. Mrs.Chandler?"

Good to know my fake ID still works

I nodded in compliance

"May I go now?"

They released me to Lurusso and he drove me back to my apartment. Throughout the drive he pointed to places he knew. Telling me stories about him and his first love. Part of my thought it was sweet. But I kinda wanted to vomit.

We pulled up to my apartment complex where my mom sat outside. Curlers in her hair, a cigarette in hand. She was livid.

She puffed a ball of smoke.

"Get inside." She said angrily just loud enough for Lurusso to hear

She waved him off and he drove away.

The door slammed behind me as the yelling began.

"You're useless!" She said as she smacked my face.

"Just like your father, you wreck everything."

"I'm in debt Elizabeth you know what that means??"

"I know mom." I replied holding my cheek

She took my arm with one hand. Her cigarette in the other. She pressed the burning cigarette into my arm forming a circular burn. I winced in pain as the red mark appeared. One of many.

Without my dad.. where else is there to go. He's dead and she's... she's nothing like a mother to me.

————-
Authors Note: Hey there! Hope you're enjoying the first chapter. Leave a vote if you enjoyed it :)