𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨

CHAPTER four

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Our Town
part1
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Our Townpart1||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

•we can't keep acting like nothing's•
wrong
⚚⚚⚚

It's been ten days. Ten days and counting. For the past week, kids have locked themselves in houses, tried to hide from the death of their friend and the uncertainty of the future. Some would cry themselves to sleep, others would sleep with a different guy each night. Everyone had broken the limits that their parents put there to keep them safe. At some point, they would have to put their shoes on and face this new world.

Everyone knew that the sun came up at 5:41, which is how it should be. Yet, the 7:10 to New York never arrived, neither did the train after that. Some believed that they were going to wake up from this dream and everything would go back to how it was. Back to high school, back to the secret parties, back to breaking the rules behind their parents back. Ten days is a long time to believe that. Then there's hope, maybe next week or the one after that, maybe tomorrow.

The town was quiet. The streets were empty and the sky was clear. Just as it should be so early in the morning. West Ham looked like a normal town. Students sat on the quad praying or calling out to "spirits". Bleu didn't believe in that kind of stuff. She sat with Grizz in front of the homemade grave.

Emily had died less than a week ago but Bleu visited her grave with Luke and Grizz every day. Luke laid down a small bouquet of scrawny-looking flowers. The ground was wet from the morning dew as the wet grass stuck to the shoes of kids walking. Bleu looked over at Grizz. He had his hands folded and his face serious. His smile hadn't come back since that day.

Bleu looked up as she heard a few students murmur. They called out questions and warnings. Like, "help us" or "give us answers or a sign." As kids continued to spontaneously shout the sky turned a few shades darker and the sun became bright. A solar eclipse. Bleu nudged Grizz and he looked up.

"What the hell?" He said squinting.

Students around the field started to gasp and say it was the sign they had been waiting for. Gordie called out from under the gazebo.

"It's not a sign. It's a scheduled astronomical event."

This comment quieted the students. Bleu agreed with Gordie. The eclipse didn't seem unusual to her. Other than there really shouldn't be one in the middle of June. Bleu nudged Grizz again.

"Hey, let's go get breakfast," She said to him and he looked up at her. "Cassandra said that she would let us stay with her."

Grizz nodded and stood up. As he got up his pushed all of his feelings back down. He knew that he couldn't let this girl's death get to him, at least not like it go to Luke. He had to help keep hope in this new town. Otherwise, panic would spread.