4.2 | t w e l v e .

MOVEMENT ON the floor to her left startled her awake

She blinked a few times before she caught sight of Dean's feet on the wood floor, the planks creaking underneath his weight as he shuffled into the kitchen.

She sighed, stretching her arms over her head lazily, before yanking the blanket off her body and pulling herself into a standing position.

Trying her best not to wake Sammy, who was asleep on the couch above her, she followed her twin brother to the kitchen, hopelessly trying to avoid the creaking floorboards underneath her bare feet.

Mak froze in the doorway at the sight of her brother standing before Castiel.

"Well, thanks a lot for the angelic assistance."
Dean started.
"You know, I almost got my heart ripped out of my chest."

The gears turned within her brain at his words and her green eyes widened.

"Cas... you- you knew?!  About the witnesses?  About... everything?"

Both the angel and her brother turned to face her as she finally made her presence known, taking a few tentative steps into the room.

Castiel's blue gaze immediately softened when his eyes met Makayla's, and she watched as the Adam's apple in his throat bobbed as he swallowed.

After a few beats of silence, Dean scoffed.

"Yeah, Mak, he knew.  Of course he knew.  You still gonna vouch for his celestial ass now?"

The girl felt shame bubble in her stomach.
"You were right, bub.  I'm sorry."

The angel didn't break eye contact with her as he opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out.  He steeled himself carefully before addressing Dean once more.

"Your opinions on me are hardly a priority at the moment.  I'm not here to perch on your shoulder.  We have much larger concerns."

"There were innocent people down here getting turned inside out.  That's not important enough for you?  For God?  I thought your job was to protect people."
Makayla sneered, and Castiel clenched his jaw in visible frustration.  The girl was actually rather proud that she managed to spark an emotional response from him.

"At this point, I'm not too sure that there even is a God."

"There's a God."
Castiel snapped at Dean, who glared daggers in return.

"Then what is he waiting for?  For monster to take over the Earth?  The extinction of the human race?  The fucking apocalypse?  At what point does that son of a bitch decide it's time to snap his fingers and help us out?"

The angel sighed.
"The Lord works-"

"If you say 'in mysterious ways,' so help me, I will kick your angelic ass."