querencia

[querenica] -
1. the part of a bullring where the bull takes its stand
2. a place where one feels safe, a place from which one's strength of character is drawn, a place where one feels most at home

——

"What the hell is your problem, kora!? This guy will be a useful informant, so why the fuck are you so against him!? Is it because he's a civilian like you? What, you don't want to drag anyone else into this life? Or is there just something else you're not telling us, kora!?" Colonello demands, slamming his palm into the rough oak of the table, his eyes narrowed and- for once- observant.

"It's not about you-"

They had been in the midst of the Annual Arcobaleno meeting, where they discussed new missions, possible new contacts, and other Arcobaleno-related business. It had started with Kawahira's first meeting, and as dreadful as that had been, Luce had insisted they continue to meet, and unfortunately the Sky could be very persuasive. They're currently voting on a large, English twenty-something who had somehow landed a CEO position already, and his pending position as a regular informant.

Colonello had suggested him, actually, having used the guy once or twice before, and having suitable blackmail against him- apparently he had abused his younger cousin when he was younger or something, and his parents were already in jail or the very same reason. Colonello had promised, quite grimly, that the same fate could very easily await the guy.

However, as the sniper is quick to notice and somehow almost quicker to point out, every time the guy's name- one Dudley Dursley- is mentioned, Skull tightens his fists until his knuckles bleed white, and every very good and well-founded point that Colonello makes is instantly brushed aside- dismissed!- by the stuntman, who is then softly supported by Luce.

At this point it's a matter of pride for Colonello- he can't allow the wimpy civilian to say his decision-making skills are untrustworthy, because where does that leave him in terms of gaining respect from sweet-hearted, strong-willed Luce, or insufferably smug and tantalisingly dangerous Reborn?

Unfortunately for the CEDEF soldier, they've long ago enforced the rule that the decision to either hire or not hire a staff member (assassins, informants, even cleaners) had to be unanimous in favour of hiring before any money was to be exchanged or any offer was to be made.

In fact, the others are all feeling quite irate with the Cloud; normally he could be easily persuaded to agree with- and to- anything. Verde's ethics have always been somewhat questionable, anyway, even back in Med School.

Skull's eyes are wide and feverish, darting from face to face around the room. He bites his lip, hard, anxiously chewing on the tacky chain connecting his lip to his ear. Colonello focuses his hatred in on it, and without realizing it grips his rifle under the table. His finger twitches on the trigger, and he absently wonders how quickly Skull, with his miraculous healing rates, can heal from a shattered kneecap or two.

"Sorry." The word cuts through his mood, and he eyes Skull with confusion. The Cloud relaxes tightly-clenched fists, his blood slowly beginning to circulate back to where had previously been milky white. He exhales deeply, a sigh that sounds so tired and, quite frankly, completely wrong, at a complete dissonance with his perky youthful persona, and just that (never mind that he, the ever-egotistical nuisance that was Skull de fucking Mort, had apologized) didn't sit quite right with the other Arcobaleno.

Skull is meant to be childish and carefree, it's his base personality. But this teenager (barely even a man) in front of them has dark rings under his misjudged and poorly applied makeup, and his wild violet hair, usually pushed, pulled and tugged into place is untamed in a completely different sense, and his Flame sits jumpily under his skin.

"I just-" he cuts himself off, furrowing his brow. "I happen to know he was... He's likely to betray us- or become a nuisance."

Skull doesn't specify what kind of nuisance, exactly, this Dursley could prove to be, but the comment on traitors paired with Skull's unsettled Flames is enough to tell them that no, Skull will not back down from this, and yes, Skull knows exactly what he's talking about.

And that is all it takes for them to drop the matter completely- in fact they're quite ready to move on. It's only the soft words (that any normal person probably wouldn't have been able to hear, but then the Arcobaleno aren't normal by any standards) that their previously-civilian Cloud Lackey murmurs that delays them in the slightest.

"Especially if he ever realized who I am."

Fon presses his lips together into a hard, thin line, and doggedly ignores the comment. His eyes burn holes in the oak of the conference table.

As with all things Skull, the others follow his lead.