Part 1 - Out of Reality In Reality

"I'm over this already and we've not been here a day yet!" Aylin complained to Cecilia. "All the rules! You said there were rules but if I'd known the extent and how I've had to sign myself away, I'd reconsidered coming."

They were together in their hotel, in a large, luxurious suite overlooking a lake. Aylin stepped out on the balcony for the third time. The forest and mountains beyond the lake again took her breath away.

"THIS is why I'm staying. This location is fabulous, but I can't understand why you aren't allowed to share what you actually DO here. I really..."

"You really, really, with a dozen more 'reallys' —NEED to know what happens and..."

"I've got that. You can't share until after the final questionnaire, so, later tonight... is that someone at the door?"

"I ordered room service," Cecilia said. She called, "Enter."

"Room service? For what? —We've not used anything."

"I ordered supper —our evening meal. Oh, don't tell me, you've never had room service?"

"I might like to eat in the dining hall."

"Believe me, it's better here, especially on the first night. You've more rules to read, questions to answer. You'll be up all night if you don't get started and I can tell you, since I know the rules, you can have someone who's been here, namely me, helping you."

Aylin watched a shiny stainless-steel trolley being wheeled in by a woman wearing the Portal uniform.

"Good evening Miss Cecilia, it's good to see you again; and to meet you, Miss Aylin."

A younger woman followed, crossing to a china cabinet, selecting plates and utensils to set the dining table for two.

"Thank you, Mary; it's great to be here. I'm so excited."

"You must be excited too, Miss Aylin; it's your first ball isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Call us when you want your desserts," Mary said. "Your first two courses are in the trolley. Help yourselves."

*****

Seated at the bureaux desk with Cecilia perched on a high stool beside her, Aylin opened the eBook reader marked 'Questionnaire,' reading aloud, "Cinderella style ball."

Turning to Cecilia, she asked, "So, I can discuss this with you, right?"

"Yes, I said that."

"Choose a color ballgown —really?"

"I know you'll choose green, so get on with it."

Aylin wrote, 'Emerald.'

"Of course, Emerald."

"Choose me a style, but not one that makes me look like a puff-ball or a marshmallow. Something, more slimming, and flowing..."

"You must choose."

"Okay then; eeny-meeny-miny-moe; this one." Circling the image, Aylin scrolled back to her color answer, replacing 'Emerald' with 'Off White,' saying, "I like the creamy, flowing skirt and it wouldn't look as good in green. What do you think?"

"You'll look great in anything, Ay. I'm hoping you'll find your prince."

"Don't tell me you have one?"

"I won't tell you then."

"What? You do? That's why you keep coming back. You always do the ball first?"