NoS - Chapter One

Chapter One

"D'you have everything you need?" Neil asked Ricky.

Ricky double checked through his backpack, just to make sure he'd packed his medications, "I think so, yeah. Who's coming again?" he asked, referring to the road-trip for Claire's birthday.

"Just a couple of friends. Nadia's coming, she's the one from Ireland that's into her artsy stuff. Sophie and her little sister, Jamie, too."

"Isn't Jamie like, seven?" Ricky questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Nine, I think, but Sophie will stay with her; she doesn't drink." Neil paused for a moment and watched as Ricky randomly fumbled around his backpack. He walked over to him and placed his hand on his cheek – or more specifically, his rough already greying beard. He waited until Ricky looked back at him, "How are you feeling?"

Ricky leaned forward and rested his forehead against Neil's, "I'm fine."

Neil lowered his hand to the necklace that Ricky always wore. A simple white gold chain with a plain silver ring hanging from it; a gift from an old friend, "I know it's hard for you, but you might end up enjoying yourself. It could be good to get out, and if you're overwhelmed we can always sneak off somewhere so that it's just the two of us." he tried to assure him.

Ricky half smiled, "You've been so patient."

Neil's phone chimed before he could respond, and flipping it open he saw Claire's name highlighted, "Hi Claire, we're setting off in a few."

"Cool, you know where?" she asked, her voice high pitched and chirpy.

"Mhm, behind Mason's Aquarium." he said as he put his coat on, shifting his phone to the other hand.

"Yep! Nadia's s already there, Sophie's probably gonna get there with Jamie for about half ten. Don't be long!" she said and hung up before Neil could reply.

"Ready?" he asked Ricky who nodded in response, his backpack already over his shoulder, "then lets go!" he smiled with feigned enthusiasm.

Ricky's four birth camper-van would only just be comfortable if it were to hold four people, and barely adequate for five, but six? That would be uncomfortable in the best circumstance. Neil hoped their road-trip would lead them to where Claire wants to go, but if not, at least the group would have some form of shelter. The couple pulled up in the car park behind Masons Aquarium, and made their way across to Solomon's Café. Outside, tethered to a small bar on the wall, was Nadia's Beagle, Charlie. Neil stopped to stroke him briefly before entering the café. Walking through the glass door the pair were greeted with the counter to their left and tables ahead and to their right. Claire, a short petite girl with shoulder length straight blonde hair, blue eyes, and a smile that would cause even the nicest boy to go bad, spotted the couple first and waved them over. Nadia appeared to be a polar opposite in Claire's presence, with her curly black hair and dark skin, she stood a few inches taller than Claire and was proud to be curvy. She sported a black dress with gold, jade, and yellow gems, and wore similar styled earrings, whilst Claire wore a plain t-shirt and blue jeans.

Neil sat down first, "Hey guys. This is Ricky, Ricky this is Claire," he gestured towards the birthday girl, who reached over the table to give him a hug, "and this is Nadia."

Nadia smiled politely as Ricky extended his hand for a handshake after reluctantly indulging Claire in a hug.

"It's nice to finally meet you. Neil talks about you a lot." Claire said in her usual rapid speech.