1. The Soulmate Theory

A/N

This also has been posted on tumblr and Archive Of Our Own under my username 'ohminho'.

The entire sixth year group was in a buzz that day in the Great Hall and Thomas was not only freaked out by the amount of girls and the occasional guys whispering about him ("What if it's him?" "Merlins, no! Imagine what my parents would say if they found out mine was 'muggleborn'!" "It's the 21st Century tell 'em to grow a pair,") but he was also genuinely very confused. He grabbed a seat beside his friends at the Gryffindor table during lunch and immediately asked, "What the hell is going on with my year group today?"

Minho choked on his drink as he burst out into laughter. Once he regained composure, "Wait do you not know about the matching Patronus charms? The Soulmate legend?!"

Thomas shook his head. "Well I know what Patronus charms are-"

"Merlin, I do love you muggles," Minho said as he elbowed Thomas while Zart rolled his eyes.

"Minho what are they though?" Chuck interrupted, leaning forward, curiosity forming in his eyes.

"First off, Chuck you're Hufflepuff, why are you at our table? Second, stay and let me tell you," Minho replied, lowering his voice. "It's a very old Wizard legend- like I'm talkin' centuries old- that states if two people conjure a Patronus charm and they both have the same animal it means they're soul mates."

"God Minho," Zart sighed heavily and at first Thomas was going to call him out for spreading bull until he said, "It's not necessarily just the same animal because that would mean literally everyone in this Hall would have a soul mate. It gets deeper than that." Minho scoffed but Zart carried on. "It also states that once conjured for the first time, possibly at the same time when it's more likely to happen, you get this feeling that you're drawn to this one person in the room or area."

Admittedly, Thomas was drawn to this tale though he believed none of it. He found it fascinating. Chuck's jaw dropped in awe.

"Did it ever happened when you guys learnt it?" Zart shook his head quickly before Minho could sprout some lies. "No, but there was a case not long ago, one girl had a doe and her soul mate conjured up a stag. They felt that weird feeling and yeah, happily ever after. Do you remember Minho? A pair of Ravenclaws and we were in fourth year?"

"So does it just happen in the same House?" Thomas asked as he began eyeing the Gryffindor table. But also he was wondering how he never heard of the two Ravenclaws but Chuck, a third year, had seemed to.

"Nope, all houses, all genders, could be romantic, could be platonic," Minho said, "Anything goes. Although those girls from Hufflepuff seem to be hoping it's romantic and with you. God, Thomas you have an ugly mug but boys and girls are looking at you like you're food on a table. You remind me of myself in sixth year."

Thomas chuckled. "What? You had an ugly mug too?"

"Ah so you admit it!"

Chuck tugged at Thomas' jumper. "You might want to get going now Thomas, fourth period starts for sixth years soon."

"Thanks buddy," Thomas smiled, getting up off the bench, "drop by the Common Room later yeah? Password's 'memores'."

Chuck nodded and Thomas sprinted to Defense against the Dark Arts before Minho shouted something possibly insanely embarrassing across the Great Hall.

X

Six years in this school and Thomas still gets exhausted after running to class, especially when the staircases decide to change. His professor, Jorge Fawcett was quite possibly the only teacher that wouldn't punish a student for being late however to make up for that, the man is a bit mad.